High Offley, Staffordshire GenealogyEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Guide to High Offley, Staffordshire ancestry, family history, and genealogy: parish registers, census records, birth records, marriage records, and death records.
|High Offley, Staffordshire|
|Poor Law Union||Newport PLU|
|Parish registers: 1689|
|Bishop's Transcripts: 1659|
|Probate Court||Court of the Peculiar of High Offley and Flixton|
|Location of Archive|
|Staffordshire Record Office|
OFFLEY, HIGH (St. Mary), a parish, in the union of Newport, N. division of the hundred of Pirehilland of the county of Stafford, 4½ miles (S. W.) from Eccleshall. 
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
High Offley parish registers of christenings, marriages and burials are available online for the following years:
|FREG = FreeREG - free|
|BIVRI = British Isles Vital Records Index (Ancestry) - (£)|
|FS = FamilySearch - free|
|HIGH OFFLEY PARISH ST MARY (1659) Online Records|
- 1532/3 - A List of Families in High Offley, Staffordshire Genealogy 1532/3 FHL British Book 942.46 B4sc ser. 4 v. 8
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library. The first film number is 474620.
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Staffordshire Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Maps and Gazetteers
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
- ↑ Samuel A. Lewis, A Topographical Dictionary of England (1848), pp. 469-472. Date accessed: 29 October 2012.
- ↑ 'Staffordshire Coverage', FreeREG, accessed 14 August 2014.
- ↑ 'British Isles Vital Records Index - 2nd Ed. Breakdown of Records', Genoot, accessed 11 September 2013.
- ↑ 'IGI Batch Numbers for Stafford (A-M), England', IGI Batch Numbers - British Isles and North America, accessed 18 September 2013.
- ↑ Ann J. Kettle, A List of Families in the Archdeaconry of Stafford, 1532-3 (Stafford: Staffordshire Record Society, 1976). FHL British Book 942.46 B4sc ser. 4 v. 8
- This page was last modified on 28 April 2015, at 21:33.
- This page has been accessed 1,362 times.
New to the Research Wiki?
In the FamilySearch Research Wiki, you can learn how to do genealogical research or share your knowledge with others.Learn More