Hodnet, Shropshire GenealogyEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Guide to Hodnet, Shropshire ancestry, family history, and genealogy: parish register transcripts, census records, birth records, marriage records, and death records.
|Poor Law Union||Market Drayton|
|Registration District||Market Drayton; Wem|
|Parish registers: 1656|
|Bishop's Transcripts: 1630|
|Rural Deanery||Market Drayton|
|Probate Court||Court of the Bishop of Lichfield (Episcopal Consistory)|
|Location of Archive|
|Shropshire Record Office|
HODNET (St. Peter and St. Paul),a parish, in the union of Drayton, Drayton division of the hundred of North Bradford, N. division of Shropshire, 6 miles (S. W.) from Drayton. Hodnet includes the chapelry of Weston-under-Redcastle. 
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
Hodnet parish registers of christenings, marriages and burials are available online for the following years:
|HODNET PARISH (1540) Online Records|
|FMP||Undefined (Banns)||Undefined (Banns)|
Bishop's transcripts held at Lichfield Record Office Bap 1630-1849 Marr 1630-1835 Bur 1630-1849
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library. The first film number is 474579.
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Shropshire Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Maps and Gazetteers
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
- ↑ Samuel A. Lewis, A Topographical Dictionary of England (1848), pp. 524-527. Date accessed: 18 June 2012.
- ↑ 'Shropshire Baptisms 1538-1900,' findmypast, accessed 28 April 2014.
- ↑ 'Shropshire Marriages 1538-1900,' findmypast, accessed 28 April 2014.
- ↑ 'Shropshire Banns 1760-1900,' findmypast, accessed 28 April 2014.
- ↑ 'Shropshire Burials 1538-1900,' findmypast, accessed 28 April 2014.
- ↑ Hugh Wallis, 'IGI Batch Numbers for Shropshire, England,' IGI Batch Numbers, accessed 24 April 2014.
- ↑ 'Shropshire Coverage,' The Joiner Marriage Index, accessed 9 September 2013.
- ↑ Pallot's Marriage and Birth Indexes, Guide to Parishes. Digital version at FamilySearch Books Online.
- This page was last modified on 25 May 2015, at 15:49.
- This page has been accessed 2,883 times.
Future Changes to the Wiki
Changes are coming to the FamilySearch Research Wiki in the near future. Find out more on the Wiki Community News page.Community News