Holt County, Missouri GenealogyEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Guide to Holt County, Missouri ancestry, family history, and genealogy birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
|Holt County, Missouri|
Location of Missouri in the U.S.
|Founded||29 February, 1841|
|Address|| Holt County Courthouse|
100 W Nodaway Street
Oregon, MO 64473
Holt County Website
Holt County, Missouri Genealogy Record Dates
County Clerk has incomplete birth and death records 1883-1893,
marriage, divorce, land records from 1841; Clerk Circuit Court
has court records 1841; Probate Judge has probate records from 1849
1841--Holt County was created 29 January 1841 from the Platte Purchase. County seat: Oregon 
For animated maps illustrating Missouri county boundary changes, "Rotating Formation Missouri County Boundary Maps" (1804-1889) may be viewed for free at the MapofUS.org website.
For a list of record loss in Missouri counties see: Missouri Counties with Burned Courthouses
Town/city records in the FamilySearch Catalog
- The State Historical Society of Missouri has information on historical Missouri place names for all 114 Missouri Counties.
- Andrew •
- Atchison •
- Doniphan County, Kansas •
- Nemaha County, Nebraska •
- Nodaway •
- Richardson County, Nebraska
- Mount Hope Cemetery, Mound City BillionGraves
- Holt County, Missouri Census, 1920 at Ancestry.com ($)
Church records and the information they provide vary significantly depending on the denomination and the record keeper. They may contain information about members of the congregation, such as age, date of baptism, christening, or birth; marriage information and maiden names; and death date. For general information about Missouri denominations, view the Missouri Church Records wiki page.
Land and property records can place an ancestor in a particular location, provide economic information, and reveal family relationships. Land records include: deeds, abstracts and indexes, mortgages, leases, grants and land patents.
See Missouri Land and Property for information about records of land transfers from the government to private ownership. After that transfer, transactions were usually recorded and are currently housed at the county courthouse.
Local histories are available for Holt County, Missouri Genealogy. County histories may include biographies, church, school and government history, and military information. For more information about local histories, see the Wiki page section Missouri Local Histories.
- The History of Holt and Atchison counties, Missouri : containing a history of these counties, their cities, towns, etc., etc., biographical sketches of their citizens, general and local statistics ... history of Miss. St. Joseph, Mo. : National Historical Co., 1882.
- Online at FamilySearch (Free)
- Holt County Historical Society. History of Holt County, 1882. Cassville, Missouri : Holt County Historical Society, 1973.
- Online at FamilySearch (Free)
- History of Holt County, Missouri : from the time of the Platte Purchase to the end of the year 1916; pre- ceeded by a short history of Missouri; supplemented by biographical sketches.... St. Joseph, Missouri : Midland Print., 1916?.
- Online at FamilySearch (Free)
- The University of Missouri Digital Library has digital copies of Missouri county plat books (ca. 1930) for all Missouri counties including Holt County.
Early migration routes to and from Holt County, Missouri Genealogy for European settlers included:
- - 25th Regiment, Missouri Infantry (Union), Company E
- - 1st Regiment, Missouri Cavalry - Confederate, Company A
- - 1st Regiment, Missouri Cavalry - Confederate, Company B
- - 1st Regiment, Missouri Cavalry - Confederate, Company C
- - 1st Regiment, Missouri Cavalry - Confederate, Company E
- - 1st Regiment, Missouri Cavalry - Confederate, Company K
- - 3rd Provisional Regiment, Enrolled Missouri Militia (Union), Company B
- - 3rd Provisional Regiment, Enrolled Missouri Militia (Union, Company L
- - 58th Regiment, Enrolled Missouri Militia (Union), Company A
- - 58th Regiment, Enrolled Missouri Militia (Union), Company C
- - 58th Regiment, Enrolled Missouri Militia (Union), Company G
Additional newspapers abstracts can sometimes be found using search phrases such as Holt County, Missouri Genealogy newspapers in online catalogs like:
In Missouri, probate records have usually been recorded by the clerks of the probate courts, but in some counties the common pleas or circuit courts handled this function. They are frequently indexed.
Taxes were levied on free white males over 21 and slaves aged 21 to 60. These persons are referred to as "polls." Tax listings, or digests, of a county generally list the taxable landowners and other polls and the amount of tax. The records for each county are divided by militia district. For more information see the wiki page Missouri Taxation.
Vital Records consist of births, adoptions, marriages, divorces, and deaths. For additional guidance on researching and using vital records, see United States Vital Records or How to order Missouri Vital Records.
St. Louis and Kansas City recorded births and deaths starting as early as 1850 for deaths and 1870 for births. The Missouri Department of Health began keeping birth and death records in 1909. County records vary by year and the county. A copy or an extract of most original records can be purchased from the Missouri Vital Records State Department of Health, the County Clerk's office or order electronically online.
- 1827 - 1935 Missouri, Births and Christenings, 1827-1935 at FamilySearch.org — index
- 1851 - 1910 Missouri Birth Records, 1851-1910 at Ancestry.com — index/images $
- 1870 - Holt County Birth Index 1870. Batch C515171 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1883-1889 - Holt County Birth Index 1883-1889. Batch C515173 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1802 - 1969 Missouri, County Marriage, Naturalization, and Court Records, 1802-1969 at FamilySearch.org — index/images
- 1750 - 1920 Missouri, Marriages, 1750-1920 at FamilySearch.org — index
- 1805 - 2002 Missouri, Marriage Records, 1805-2002 at [http://home.ancestry.com/
- 1850 Missouri Marriages to 1850 at Ancestry.com — index $
- 1846-1881 - Holt County Marriage Books B thru E Index 1846-1881. Batch M515171 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1881-1885 - Holt County Marriage Book 1 Index 1881-1885. Batch M515172 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1867 - 1976 Missouri, Deaths and Burials, 1867-1976 at FamilySearch.org — index
- 1834 - 1910 Missouri, Death Records, 1834-1910 at Ancestry.com — index/images $
- Missouri State Archives provides on-line access to Missouri Death Certificates more than 50 yrs old starting in 1910.
- 1883-1889 - Holt County Death Index 1883-1889. Batch B515175 at FamilySearch - free.
Genealogy Societies, Archives and Libraries
- Northwest Missouri Genealogical Society
412 Felix Street
Saint Joseph, Missouri 64501
P.O. Box 382
Saint Joseph, Missouri 64502
Family History Centers
Family History Centers provide one-on-one assistance and free access to premium genealogical websites. In addition, many centers have free how-to genealogy classes. See Family History Centers for more information. Search the online FHC directory for a nearby family history center.
| Check back often with these websites. Internet offerings are growing at record rates.
Local societies and libraries may know of other websites.
|Missouri Digital Heritage||Free||digital images of many types of records from institutions across the State|
|MOGenWeb||Free||Data may be submitted by individuals or complete transcriptions|
|USGenWeb Archives||Free||Data may be submitted by individuals or may be complete transcriptions|
|RootsWeb resources||Free||Data may be submitted by individuals or may be complete transcriptions|
|Linkpendium||Free||Click links. Some sites they link to may have fees ($)|
|CyndisList||Free||Click links. Some sites they link to may have fees ($)|
|StateofUS||Free||family history resources and government records|
Books, microfilm, or manuscripts of genealogical records
|FamilySearch catalog||Select topics. To select towns, add a comma to the search box.|
|WorldCat||To find nearby libraries that have specific items, see WorldCat Online Catalog.|
|Allen County Public Library||located in Indiana They are heavily involved in digitizing.|
|Missouri State Archives Library||catalog; from this page you must search "Holt County"|
|Google+||Missouri Genealogy Network Community|
|list of groups from "Missouri Genealogy" search|
|genealogy.com||Holt County, MO Genealogy Forum|
|ancestry.com||Holt County Message Board|
- ↑ Alice Eichholz, Ancestry’s Red Book: American State, County and Town Sources, Revised ed. (Salt Lake City: Ancestry, 1992), 422-438. At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27rb 1992
- ↑ Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Holt County, Missouri. Page 401 At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- ↑ The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- ↑ National Park Service, "(Auto Tour Route) Maps" in Oregon National Historic Trail at http://www.nps.gov/oreg/planyourvisit/maps.htm (accessed 18 July 2011).
- ↑ National Park Service, "(Auto Tour Route) Maps" in California National Historic Trail at http://www.nps.gov/cali/planyourvisit/maps.htm (accessed 18 July 2011).
- ↑ 6.0 6.1 6.2 6.3 6.4 Genealogical Society of Utah, Parish and Vital Records List (July 1998). Microfiche. Digital version at https://www.familysearch.org/learn/wiki/en/images/5/5a/Igimissouria.pdf.
- This page was last modified on 20 August 2015, at 17:08.
- This page has been accessed 10,230 times.
Future Changes to the Wiki
Changes are coming to the FamilySearch Research Wiki in the near future. Find out more on the Wiki Community News page.Community News