Honolulu County, Hawaii GenealogyEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Guide to Honolulu County County, Hawaii ancestry, family history, and genealogy birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
|Honolulu County, Hawaii|
Location in the state of Hawaii
Location of Hawaii in the U.S.
|Address|| Honolulu County Courthouse|
530 South King Street
Honolulu, HI 96813
Honolulu County Website
|Beginning dates for major county records|
|* For earlier dates, try... Church | Obituaries | Cemeteries|
- Parent County: created in 1905 as the original county
- County seat: Honolulu 
- Neighboring Island: Kauai
- Diamond Head Memorial Park Cemetery, Kaimuki
- Hawaiian Memorial Park, Kaneohe
- Kawaihao Manoa Cemetery, Honolulu
- Laie Community Cemetery, Laie
- Uluhaimalama Cemetery, Honolulu
For tips on accessing Honolulu County, Hawaii Genealogy census records online, see: Hawaii Census.
Church records and the information they provide vary significantly depending on the denomination and the record keeper. They may contain information about members of the congregation, such as age, date of baptism, christening, or birth; marriage information and maiden names; and death date. For general information about Hawaii denominations, view the Hawaii Church Records wiki page.
Emigration and Immigration
Ethnic, Political and Religious Groups
Local histories are available for Honolulu County, Hawaii Genealogy. County histories may include biographies, church, school and government history, and military information. For more information about local histories, see the wiki page section Hawaii Local Histories.
Land and Property
Land and property records can place an ancestor in a particular location, provide economic information, and reveal family relationships. Land records include: deeds, abstracts and indexes, mortgages, leases, grants and land patents.
See Hawaii Land and Property for additional information about early Hawaii land grants. After land was transferred to private ownership, subsequent transactions were usually recorded at the county courthouse and where records are currently housed.
Naturalization and Citizenship
- Hawaii Newspaper Index, 1929-1969 - includes obituaries
- Hawaii Newspaper Index, 1989-present -- includes obituaries
- Honolulu County, Hawaii Obituary Collection Free from GenealogyBuff.com. From Various Funeral Homes in the Honolulu, Kunia, Hauula, Pearl City, Waianae, Hawaii areas.
State Health Department has marriage, death, birth, wills, probate and land records.
Family History Centers
Family History Centers provide one-on-one assistance and free access to premium genealogical websites. In addition, many centers have free how-to genealogy classes. See Family History Centers for more information. Search the online FHC directory for a nearby family history center.
- Honolulu Hawaii Family History Center
- Kaneohe Hawaii Family History Center
- Laie Hawaii Family History Center
- Mililani Hawaii Family History Center
- Waipahu Hawaii Family History Center
Vital records consist of birth, death, marriage and divorce records. The State office has some records as early as 1853 up to the present. See the State of Hawaii, Department of Health website for information on acquiring the records and any restrictions.
- USGenWeb project. May have maps, name indexes, history or other information for this county. Select the state, then the county.
- FamilySearch Catalog
- Honolulu County, Hawaii Genealogy and Family History (Linkpendium)
- Honolulu County Genealogy (Hawaii Genealogy)
- ↑ The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- ↑ Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Honolulu County, Hawaii page 170, At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- This page was last modified on 6 February 2015, at 03:58.
- This page has been accessed 6,498 times.
New to the Research Wiki?
In the FamilySearch Research Wiki, you can learn how to do genealogical research or share your knowledge with others.Learn More