Houghton on the Hill, NorfolkEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
HOUGHTON-ON-THE-HILL (St. Mary), a parish, in the union of Swaffham, hundred of South Greenhoe, W. division of Norfolk, 4¼ miles (N. W.) from Watton. 
Houghton on the Hill St Mary the Virgin was an Ancient Parish in the Cranwich deanery of the Diocese of Norfolk. It became abandoned in the 1930's the last service held in 1944. The church then became a ruin until a restoration by Bob Davey and supporters.
The Church of Saint Mary the Virgin (most commonly called St Mary's) stands on top of the hill in Houghton, on the outskirts of North Pickenham near Swaffham. Of the small hamlet once described as Houghton Town, only the church and Houghton Farm remain intact.
The Church is now used for services again.
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
Houghton on the Hill, Norfolk parish registers of christenings, marriages and burials are available online for the following years:
|Houghton on the Hill, Norfolk Parish Online Records|
||1678-1812, 1816-1892|| |
Norfolk Record Office Parish Records of Houghton on the Hill reference PD554
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library. The first film number is 438860.
Poor Law Unions
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Norfolk Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Maps and Gazetteers
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
- ↑ Samuel A. Lewis,A Topographical Dictionary of England(1848), pp. 562-566. Date accessed: 15 April 2013.
- ↑ 'Norfolk Coverage', FreeREG, accessed 25 February 2014.
- ↑ 'England, Norfolk Archdeacon's Transcripts, 1600-1812,' FamilySearch, accessed 31 March 2014.
- ↑ 'England, Norfolk, Bishop's Transcripts, 1685-1941', FamilySearch, accessed 31 March 2014.
- ↑ 'England, Norfolk, Parish Registers (County Record Office), 1538-1900', FamilySearch, accessed 17 March 2014.
- ↑ Hugh Wallis, 'IGI Batch Numbers for Norfolk, England,' IGI Batch Numbers, accessed 20 March 2014.
- ↑ 'Norfolk Baptism Project 1813 to 1880,' Tinstaafl Transcripts, accessed 10 April 2014.
- This page was last modified on 12 April 2014, at 19:59.
- This page has been accessed 996 times.
Share Your Opinion!
Give feedback on our new look! Tell us what you like, and what you would do differently.Give Feedback