Hungary, Catholic Church Records (FamilySearch Historical Records)/Known IssuesEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
| This page was created by FamilySearch Historical Records personnel. It details problems identified within this collection and answers to those problems.
If you wish to comment, please visit the talk page to post your comments.
Question #1: I am not getting consistent search results by using just a town name. Is there a work-around for this problem?
Answer #1: First, keep in mind that this collection currently only has baptismal records, so you should search using the BIRTHPLACE and BIRTH DATE only. Check with the collection home page Description for any changes to the records content. Second, the work around requires using valid county names (those with + by them) or other major localities within the BIRTHPLACE field. A list is provided below:
- Abaúj-Torna (179,063)
- Arad (23,339)
- Bacs-Bodrog Megye (4,686)
- Baranya (1,045,591)
- Bereg (2,838)
- Bihar (17,273)
- Borsod (448,751)-- Borsod-Abaúj-Zemplén
- Bács-Bodrog (1,398,525)
- Békés (188,620)
- Csanád (177,550)
- Csongrád (671,385)
- Esztergom (235,953)
- Fejér (704,446)
- Győr (422,595) -- Győr-Moson-Sopron
- Gömör (46,000)
- Hajdu (56,418) -- Hajdú-Bihar
- Heves (1,059,545)
- Hont (83,113)
- Jász-Nagykun-Szolnok (710,641)
- Kolozs (52,695)
- Komárom (258,124) -- Komárom-Esztergom
- Moson (249,354)
- Nógrád (590,275)
- Pest-Pilis-Solt-Kiskun (2,795,968)
- Somogy (1,004,502)
- Sopron (753,274)
- Szabolcs (223,941) -- Szabolcs-Szatmár-Bereg
- Szatmár (38,652)
- Temes (12,921)
- Tolna (1,169,051)
- Torontál (61,431)
- Trencsén (61,431)
- Vas (1,008,515)
- Veszprém (749,233)
- Zala (1,170,108)
- Zemplén (160,343)
Missing County is Bács-Kiskun. The values in () indicate the number of records in each locality.
Question #2: When looking at an ancestor, the location for the name I find is Nagyölved, Esztergom, Hungary and the record references film 1729968, but that film in the Catalog shows location Laskafalu, Baranya, Hungary, later Čeminac, Croatia. When the image is not available for me to look at how can I be able to able to determine the correct locality?
Answer #2: Without viewing the record you would not be able to determine the correct location. The images may be viewed by ordering Film #1729988 to a Family History Center near your home. For instructions on how to order film, follow the link: Ordering Microfilm or Microfiche.
Question #3: The records in this collection are indexed as Baptism records; but I have also found death and marriage records included on the film which are indexed as Baptisms. Since I cannot view the film, how will I know which records are of which event type?
Answer #3: Using the following table, you can determine the type of record by the image number on this film:
Question #4: I am finding errors in the localities for events. Is there a list showing the correct locations?
Answer #4: The following is a list of the location errors we are aware of:
- Event place search results for film # 688418 are given as Tömörkény, Csongrád, Hungary. The correct event place for records with a record detail image number between 6 and 600 is Tószeg, Pest-Pilis-Solt-Kiskun, Hungary.
- The event place for film numbers 699763-699765 is given as Alsópáhok, Veszprém, Hungary. The correct event place is Alsópáhok, Veszprém Diocese, Zala, Hungary.
Question #5: I find records with dates in the 1500's. Is this correct?
Answer #5: There are not records in this collection from the 1500's. In most cases the indexer has misread the number 8 and entered a 5. A date of 1520 is most likely 1820. Dates in the 1500's from film 453277 are actually line numbers and not dates. These records have a blank in the line number field. You would need to look at the original microfilm to confirm the correct information.
If you encounter additional problems with this collection, feel free to report them at email@example.com. Please include the following information:
- If searching a specific collection: please include the name of the collection; include all search criteria used, including name, event, dates and places.
- If you are reporting a technical issue: please include your operating system and browser version, such as Windows 7 and Internet Explorer.
Your assistance will help ensure that future revisions will be considered.
Return to the Hungary, Catholic Church Records (FamilySearch Historical Records) Learn More page.
Return to the Hungary Catholic Church Records, 1636-1895 collection at FamilySearch.org.
- This page was last modified on 10 February 2015, at 02:58.
- This page has been accessed 2,780 times.
Future Changes to the Wiki
Changes are coming to the FamilySearch Research Wiki in the near future. Find out more on the Wiki Community News page.Community News