Hunwick, Durham GenealogyEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Guide to Hunwick, Durham family history and genealogy: parish registers, transcripts, census records, birth records, marriage records, and death records.
|Poor Law Union||Auckland|
|Parish registers: 1846|
|Bishop's Transcripts: None|
|Probate Court||Court of the Bishop of Durham (Episcopal Consistory)|
|Location of Archive|
|Durham Record Office|
HUNWICK, with Helmington, a township, in the parish of St. Andrew Auckland, union of Auckland, N. W. division of Darlington ward, S. division of the county of Durham, 3½ miles (N. W. by N.) from Bishop Auckland.
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
To find the names of the neighbouring parishes, use England Jurisdictions 1851. In this site, search for the name of the parish, click on the location "pin", click Options and click List contiguous parishes.
The following records for churches in the ancient parish of Auckland St. Andrew are also available at Durham County Record Office, County Hall, Durham, DH1 5UL:-
- Auckland, St. Luke 1882-1966 (EP/Au.SA).
- Auckland, St. Peter 1875-1931 (EP/Au.SP).
- Byers Green 1845-1968 (EP/BG).
- Binchester 1877-1959 (EP/BG & EP/Bin).
- Newfield 1900-1956 (EP/BG).
- Coundon, St. James 1842-1971 (EP/Cou).
- Windlestone 1908-1929 (EP/Cou).
- Eldon, St. Mark 1877-1982 (EP/El).
- Auckland, St. Philip 1881-1952 (EP/Au.SA & EP/Au.SPh).
- Hunwick, St. Paul 1846-1922 (EP/Hu).
- New Shildon 1868-1953 (EP/NSh).
- Newton Cap 1904-1970 (EP/NC).
Non Conformist Churches
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library. The first film number is 241352.
Poor Law Unions
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Durham Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Maps and Gazetteers
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
Hunwick (see Ackland St Andrew) on GENUKI
- This page was last modified on 9 January 2016, at 05:50.
- This page has been accessed 1,904 times.
Future Changes to the Wiki
Changes are coming to the FamilySearch Research Wiki in the near future. Find out more on the Wiki Community News page.Community News