Hursley, Hampshire GenealogyEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Guide to Hursley, Hampshire ancestry, family history, and genealogy: parish registers, transcripts, census records, birth records, marriage records, and death records.
|Poor Law Union||Hursley|
|Parish registers: 1600|
|Bishop's Transcripts: 1701|
|Probate Court||Pre-1845 - Court of the Peculiar of Hursley with Otterbourne, Merdon and Silkstead; Post-1844 - Courts of the Bishop (Episcopal Consistory) and Archdeaconry of Winchester|
|Location of Archive|
|Hampshire Record Office|
HURSLEY (All Saints), a parish, and the head of a union, in the hundred of Buddlesgate, Winchester and N. divisions of the county of Southampton, 4½ miles (S. W. by W.) from Winchester..
| This section requires expansion with:
a summary overview of the history of this parish.
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
Hursley parish registers of christenings, marriages and burials are available online for the following years:
|BIVRI = British Isles Vital Records Index (Ancestry) - (£)|
|BOYD = Boyd's Marriage Index (findmypast) - (£)|
|FMP = FindMyPast - (£)|
|FREG = FreeREG - free|
|FS = FamilySearch - free|
|PRTS = The Parish Register Transcription Society - (£)|
|HURSLEY PARISH Online Records|
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library. The first film number is 288803.
Genealogy From Periodicals
Whitlock Family Tree. A Family tree starting with Stephen Whitlock, born 1766 and showing all his descendants up to 1983. Some in the parish of Bishopstoke, Bursledon, Hound, Hursley, Soton, Stoneham, and Australia. Article to be found in The Hampshire Family Historian, Vol.X.no.2, Aug.1983,page 65, Family History Library Ref. 942.27 B2h
Nowell, Frederick. The Lavingtons. Article begins with the birth of Nicholas Lavington born 1721, and the history of descendants, dating from 1721-1852. Article in The Hampshire Family Historian, vol. XV,no.2, August 1988, pages 100-102. Family History Library Ref. 942.27 B2h
Kimber, Judy. More About The Lavingtons. A further article showing one of the ancestors has descendants living in Australia, who emigrated there in 1853. Includes more of the family in England, covering dates 1538-1853. Article in The Hampshire Family Historian, vol. XV,no.3, November 1988, pages 166-167, Family History Library Ref. 942.27 B2h
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Hampshire Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Maps and Gazetteers
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
|This section is empty. You can help by adding to it.|
- ↑ Samuel A. Lewis, A Topographical Dictionary of England, (1848), pp. 591-594. Date accessed: 12 June 2013.
- ↑ 'British Isles Vital Records Index - 2nd Ed. Breakdown of Records', Genoot, accessed 24 September 2013.
- ↑ Percival Boyd, A List of Parishes in Boyd's Marriage Index (London: Society of Genealogists, 1987). Digital version at FamilySearch Books Online.
- ↑ 'Over 1.4 million new Hampshire parish records published', Find My Past, accessed 3 October 2013. Date ranges are not clearly identified.
- ↑ 'Hampshire Coverage', FreeREG, accessed 23 September 2013.
- ↑ 'IGI Batch Numbers for Hampshire, England', IGI Batch Numbers - British Isles and North America, accessed 8 October 2013.
- ↑ 'Parish Records - Coverage', The Parish Register Transcription Society, accessed 27 September 2013.
- This page was last modified on 12 June 2015, at 11:53.
- This page has been accessed 5,484 times.
Future Changes to the Wiki
Changes are coming to the FamilySearch Research Wiki in the near future. Find out more on the Wiki Community News page.Community News