Iford, Sussex GenealogyEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Guide to Iford, Sussex ancestry, family history, and genealogy: parish registers, transcripts, census records, birth records, marriage records, and death records.
|Poor Law Union||Newhaven PLU|
|Parish registers: 1654|
|Bishop's Transcripts: 1606|
|Probate Court||Court of the Bishop (Episcopal Consistory) of Chichester for the Archdeaconry of Lewes|
|Location of Archive|
|Sussex Record Office|
IFORD (St. Nicholas), a parish, in the union of Newhaven, hundred of Swanborough, rape of Lewes, E. division of Sussex, 2¼ miles (S. by W.) from Lewes.
Iford St Nicholas is an Ancient Parish in the village and civil parish of Iford in the Lewes district of East Sussex.
A history of the church is found at Sussex Parish Churches Iford St Nicholas
The Parish Church of St Nicholas has been designated as a grade I listed building British listed building
Iford is a village and civil parish in the Lewes District of East Sussex see Iford East Sussex Wikipedia
Sussex Online Parish Clerks(OPC) Iford East Sussex
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
From 1837 this parish was in Lewes Registration District
Certificates may be obtained from
The Register Office
Phone: 01323 464780
Fax: 01323 431386
Iford, Sussex Genealogy parish registers of christenings, marriages and burials are available online for the following years:
|IFORD PARISH Online Records|
Link to the FamilySearch Catalogue showing the film numbers in their collection Iford
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library. The first film number is 464161.
Poor Law Unions
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Sussex Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Maps and Gazetteers
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
- ↑ Samuel A. Lewis, A Topographical Dictionary of England(1848), pp. 603-608. Date accessed: 30 September 2013
- ↑ 'British Isles Vital Records Index - 2nd Ed. Breakdown of Records', Genoot, accessed 30 December 2013.
- ↑ 'Boyd's Marriage Index - Parish details by county', Origins.net (Wayback Machine), accessed 30 December 2013.
- ↑ Hugh Wallis, 'IGI Batch Numbers for Sussex, England,' IGI Batch Numbers, accessed 3 January 2014.
- ↑ Pallot's Marriage and Birth Indexes, Guide to Parishes. Digital version at FamilySearch Books Online.
- ↑ 'Parish Records - Coverage', The Parish Register Transcription Society, accessed 15 December 2013.
- This page was last modified on 17 May 2015, at 12:23.
- This page has been accessed 1,140 times.
New to the Research Wiki?
In the FamilySearch Research Wiki, you can learn how to do genealogical research or share your knowledge with others.Learn More