Independent Battery C, Pennsylvania Light Artillery (Thompson's Battery)Edit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
This regiment was organized at Pittsburg November 6, 1861. It mustered out June 30, 1865.
Companies in this Regiment with the Counties of Origin
Men often enlisted in a company recruited in the counties where they lived though not always. After many battles, companies might be combined because so many men were killed or wounded. However if you are unsure which company your ancestor was in, try the company recruited in his county first.
Many men in this company were recruited in Pittsburgh, Allegheny County - See Roster
- Beginning United States Civil War Research gives steps for finding information about a Civil War soldier. It covers the major records that should be used. Additional records are described in ‘Pennsylvania in the Civil War’ and ‘United States Civil War, 1861 to 1865’ (see below).
- National Park Service, The Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System, is searchable by soldier's name and state. It contains basic facts about soldiers on both sides of the Civil War, a list of regiments, descriptions of significant battles, sources of the information, and suggestions for where to find additional information.
- Pennsylvania in the Civil War describes many sources, specifically for Pennsylvania, and how to find them. These include compiled service records, pension records, rosters, cemetery records, Internet databases, published books, etc.
- United States Civil War, 1861 to 1865 describes and explains United States and Confederate States records, rather than state records, and how to find them. These include veterans’ censuses, compiled service records, pension records, rosters, cemetery records, Internet databases, published books, etc.
- Pa-roots gives a history of this regiment and includesrosters for each company. It also lists additional references. It also has animage of a monument at Gettysburg.
- Ranger95 describes the history of this regiment. It lists rosters for each company. It also shows a monument at Gettysburg.
- Pennsylvania State Archives lists a roster for each company and lists where each man in the company was recruited.
- Thompson, James Captain. "History of the Battery presented at the dedication of the 'Battery C' Monument at Gettysburg, Pa. Pa-roots.
- This page was last modified on 30 January 2015, at 04:40.
- This page has been accessed 237 times.
Future Changes to the Wiki
Changes are coming to the FamilySearch Research Wiki in the near future. Find out more on the Wiki Community News page.Community News