Independent Battery D, Pennsylvania Light Artillery (Durrell's Light Artillery)Edit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
This regiment was organized at Doylestown and mustered in September 24, 1861. It mustered out June 13, 1865..
Companies in this Regiment with the Counties of Origin
Men often enlisted in a company recruited in the counties where they lived though not always. After many battles, companies might be combined because so many men were killed or wounded. However if you are unsure which company your ancestor was in, try the company recruited in his county first.
Many men in this Battery were recruited in Bucks County and Berks County. Men were also recruited in Chester County, Armstrong County, Cumberland County, Lehigh County, Northampton County, Schuylkill County, and Delaware County. - See Roster
- Beginning United States Civil War Research gives steps for finding information about a Civil War soldier. It covers the major records that should be used. Additional records are described in ‘Pennsylvania in the Civil War’ and ‘United States Civil War, 1861 to 1865’ (see below).
- National Park Service, The Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System, is searchable by soldier's name and state. It contains basic facts about soldiers on both sides of the Civil War, a list of regiments, descriptions of significant battles, sources of the information, and suggestions for where to find additional information.
- Pennsylvania in the Civil War describes many sources, specifically for Pennsylvania, and how to find them. These include compiled service records, pension records, rosters, cemetery records, Internet databases, published books, etc.
- United States Civil War, 1861 to 1865 describes and explains United States and Confederate States records, rather than state records, and how to find them. These include veterans’ censuses, compiled service records, pension records, rosters, cemetery records, Internet databases, published books, etc.
- Cuffel, Charles A. Durell's Battery in the Civil War Independent Battery D, Pennsylvania Volunteer Artillery. (Philadelphia: [s.n, 1900). FHL Film 1491122. FHL Fiche 6083908. WorldCat. InternetArchive.
- PaRoots gives a history of this regiment including its organization and battles. It also gives additional references and a roster .
- Pennsylvania Volunteers in the Civil War describes the history of this regiment, rosters, and some biographical information.
- Ranger 95 has a history of this regiment, with Rosters for each company. shows an image of a monument honoring this Battery.
- Pennsylvania State Archives lists a roster for each company and lists where each man in the company was recruited.
- This page was last modified on 30 January 2015, at 04:41.
- This page has been accessed 256 times.
Future Changes to the Wiki
Changes are coming to the FamilySearch Research Wiki in the near future. Find out more on the Wiki Community News page.Community News