Index to the Confederate Veteran Magazine, 1893-1932Edit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Index to the Confederate Veteran Magazine, 1893-1932
The content of the index depends on the type of article written. For example, an obituary might include:
- Name of veteran
- Rank and service unit
- Date of death
- Age at death
- Place of death
- Volume and page number in the Confederate Veteran Magazine
- Additional information.
There are articles of battle descriptions and other historical events as well as items of genealogical interest. There are lists of subscribers for Confederate memorials wherein you can locate an ancestor in a certain time and place.
There are many photographs , anecdotes and personal histories.
- http://ajax.lva.lib.va.us/F/?func=file&file_name=find-b-clas65&local_base=CLAS65 (Library of Virginia)
Using the site
There is a basic search wherein you enter the veteran’s name.
- Enter the name in the search box.
- To view the record, click on the number at the left of the entry.
- Note the volume and page number.
There is also a browse list where you can enter a surname and receive the results of veterans with that surname.
To access the information from the original magazine you may go to the Family History Library Catalog or contact other libraries which have this collection:
- Go to familysearch.org
- Click: Family History Library Catalog.
- In the film/fiche search enter: 1697372
- Scroll down to Confederate veteran (items 4-6) and press.
- Press View Film Notes at the upper right corner
- Note the film number for the volume you need. You can order the film at your family history center or you can send a photo duplication request to the Family History Library for the information desired.
- There are other libraries that have this Confederate Veteran magazine collection. You can check the books personally or request a photo duplication from the library.
- This page was last modified on 20 September 2010, at 13:08.
- This page has been accessed 4,273 times.
New to the Research Wiki?
In the FamilySearch Research Wiki, you can learn how to do genealogical research or share your knowledge with others.Learn More