Iowa ObituariesEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Obituaries, or death notices, have been published in Iowa since the 1800s. Obituaries may provide such information as the age of the deceased, birth date, birthplace (including town and country of birth), names of parents and siblings, name of spouse, names and residences of living children, death date, cause of death, place of burial, maiden name, and occupation. Previously deceased family members are frequently mentioned as well. Obituaries may occasionally indicate previous places of residence, immigration information, religion, and organizations to which the deceased belonged.
The Family History Library has two large alphabetical collections of Iowa obituaries. The original collections are at the Iowa Genealogical Society, where most of the obituaries were collected. These obituaries date from about 1850 to 1991. These collections are:
- Iowa Genealogical Society (Des Moines, Iowa). Iowa Obituaries, 1860–1982. 
- Iowa Genealogical Society (Des Moines, Iowa). Obituary Cards, 1850-1991. 
- The Davenport Public Library has Obituaries on-line by clicking on Local databases.
- Iowa Counties Historical Obituaries at GenWeb
- Iowa Newspaper Obituaries
- Iowa Obituaries
- Iowa Obituary Volunteers that will look up obituaries.
- Obituary Collection Search at Ancestry.com
Family History Library
Obituary notices are listed in the Place Search of the Family History Library Catalog under:
- IOWA - OBITUARIES
- IOWA, [COUNTY] - OBITUARIES
- IOWA, [COUNTY], [TOWN] - OBITUARIES
- IOWA - NEWSPAPERS
- IOWA, [COUNTY] - NEWSPAPERS
- IOWA, [COUNTY], [TOWN] - NEWSPAPERS
- ↑ Iowa Obituaries, 1860–1982 Salt Lake City, Utah: Genealogical Society of Utah, 1987. FHL films 1487572 item 3 (first film of 101).
- ↑ Obituary Cards, 1850-1991 Salt Lake City, Utah: Genealogical Society of Utah, 1991. (FHL film 1766206 item 2 (first film of 87).)
- This page was last modified on 11 July 2012, at 19:54.
- This page has been accessed 6,162 times.
Share Your Opinion!
Give feedback on our new look! Tell us what you like, and what you would do differently.Give Feedback