Ipswich St Mary Stoke, Suffolk GenealogyEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
|Ipswich St Mary Stoke, Suffolk|
|Poor Law Union||Ipswich|
|Parish registers: 1563|
|Bishop's Transcripts: 1698|
|Probate Court||Court of the Archdeaconry of Suffolk|
|Location of Archive|
|Suffolk Record Office|
Ipswich St. Mary Stoke is an Ancient Parish in the county of Suffolk. According to Genuki, this parish is in the borough of Ipswich along with many other churches. Suffolk churches has a lenthy article about this church and an array of pictures. View an additional picture of St Mary Stoke Parish Church by Alan Thompson from Panoramio along with a mapto provide a location.
Linda Walker wrote an article on the Local History of this area on the BBC website which encompasses this medieval church.
If you live in Suffolk you will have access to a variety of resources at local archives and libraries. For those who live further afield, one can access microfilm and online records at LDS Family History Centres. Refer to and Suffolk in the FamilySearch Catalogue for available records.
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The "England Civil Registration" article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
Ipswich St Mary Stoke, Suffolk Genealogy parish registers of christenings, marriages and burials are available online for the following years:
|1813 = Suffolk Marriage Index (1813-37) (findmypast) - (£)|
|BOYD = Boyd's Marriage Index (findmypast) - (£)|
|IGI = International Genealogical Index (FamilySearch) - free|
|NBI = National Burial Index (findmypast) - (£)|
|Ipswich St Mary Stoke, Suffolk Genealogy Online Parish Records|
Ipswich St. Mary Stoke parish records started in 1563 and the Bishop Transcripts began in 1698. The FHL film numbers are listed this way:
- Parish Register transcripts, 1563-1761: # 991946 Items 5-7
- Parish register transcripts, 1563-1850: # 991946 Item 4
- Parish register printouts of Ipswich, Suffolk, England (St. Mary Stoke) ; christenings, 1813-1876: # 883930 Item 5
Refer to the Suffolk Census wiki article for general details about the census.
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library. The first film number is 474646.
Poor Law Records
The Workhouse has a detailed section about the Ipswich workhouse for this area. A list of the inmates and the staff are provided from the 1881 census further down in the article.
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Suffolk Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Maps and Gazetteers
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
| This section requires expansion with:
any additional relevant sites that aren't mentioned above.
- ↑ 'Suffolk Marriage Index (1813-37) Coverage', Find My Past, accessed 6 December 2013.
- ↑ Percival Boyd, A List of Parishes in Boyd's Marriage Index (London: Society of Genealogists, 1987). Digital version at FamilySearch Books Online.
- ↑ Hugh Wallis, 'IGI Batch Numbers for Suffolk, England,' IGI Batch Numbers, accessed 10 December 2013.
- ↑ 'Parish Records - National Burial Index Records 1538 - 2005 Coverage', Find My Past, accessed 4 December 2013.
- This page was last modified on 3 February 2015, at 22:41.
- This page has been accessed 1,862 times.
Future Changes to the Wiki
Changes are coming to the FamilySearch Research Wiki in the near future. Find out more on the Wiki Community News page.Community News