Jefferson Davis County, MississippiEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Guide to Jefferson Davis County Mississippi genealogy. Birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
|Jefferson Davis County, Mississippi|
Location in the state of Mississippi
Location of Mississippi in the U.S.
|Founded||31 March, 1906|
|Address|| Jefferson Davis County Courthouse|
1025 3rd St; CO Box 1137
Prentiss, MS 39474
Phone: 601.792.4024Jefferson Davis County Courthouse]
Jefferson Davis County Courthouse
1025 3rd St; CO Box 1137
Prentiss, MS 39474
Clerk Chancery Court has court and land records. Clerk Circuit Court has marriage and probate records. 
For tips on accessing Jefferson Davis County, Mississippi census records online, see: Mississippi Census.
Church records and the information they provide vary significantly depending on the denomination and the record keeper. They may contain information about members of the congregation, such as age, date of baptism, christening, or birth; marriage information and maiden names; and death date. For general information about Mississippi denominations, view the Mississippi Church Records wiki page.
Land and Property
Land and property records can place an ancestor in a particular location, provide economic information, and reveal family relationships. Land records include: deeds, abstracts and indexes, mortgages, leases, grants and land patents.
See Mississippi Land and Property for additional information about early Mississippi land ownership. After land was transferred to private ownership, subsequent transactions were usually recorded at the county courthouse and where records are currently housed.
Local histories are available for Jefferson Davis County, Mississippi. County histories may include biographies, church, school and government history, and military information. For more information about local histories see the wiki page section Mississippi Local Histories.
- Family Maps of Jefferson Davis County, Mississippi (land patent maps) at HistoryGeo.com ($). Free surname search.
Additional newspapers abstracts can sometimes be found using search phrases such as Jefferson Davis County, Mississippi newspapers in online catalogs like:
Probate records are held by the Jefferson Davis County, Mississippi Clerk of Court and are housed at the Jefferson Davis County, Mississippi Courthouse. Microfilmed records can be found online at Mississippi Probate Records, 1781-1930. See the wiki page Mississippi Probate Records for information about how to use probate records.
Content: Probate Records may give the decedent's date of death, names of his or her spouse, children, parents, siblings, in-laws, neighbors, associates, relatives, and their place of residence.
Record types: Wills, estates, guardianships, naturalizations, and adoptions.
Mississippi tax records replace missing censuses and provide lists of residents during years between censuses. There may be gaps of several years. For more information, see Mississippi Taxation.
Vital Records consist of births, adoptions, marriages, divorces, and deaths recorded on registers, certificates, and documents. Mississippi law did not require keeping birth or death records until 1912. Births and deaths are kept by the Mississippi Bureau of Vital Statistics. Marriage records are kept by the county. See Mississippi Vital Records for more information on getting Mississippi records.
- 1906-1920 - Jefferson Davis County Marriage Books 1 and 2 Index 1906-1920. Batches M748382 and M748572 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1917-1929 - Jefferson Davis County Marriage Books 3 and 4 Index 1917-1929. Batches M748380 and M748383 at FamilySearch - free.
Vital Record Substitutes
Genealogy Societies and Libraries
Family History Centers
- USGenWeb project. May have maps, name indexes, history or other information for this county. Select the state, then the county.
- Family History Library Catalog
- ↑ Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Jefferson Davis County, Mississippi page 380, [At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- ↑ The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 Genealogical Society of Utah, Parish and Vital Records List (July 1998). Microfiche. Digital version at https://www.familysearch.org/learn/wiki/en/images/b/be/Igimississippij.pdf.
- This page was last modified on 21 February 2014, at 18:14.
- This page has been accessed 3,648 times.
New to the Research Wiki?
In the FamilySearch Research Wiki, you can learn how to do genealogical research or share your knowledge with others.Learn More