Jenkins County, Georgia GenealogyEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Guide to Jenkins County, Georgia ancestry, family history, and genealogy birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
|Jenkins County, Georgia|
Location in the state of Georgia
|Founded||August 17, 1905|
|Address|| Jenkins County Courthouse|
PO Box 797
Millen, GA 30442-0797
Jenkins County Website
Jenkins County Courthouse
PO Box 797
Millen, GA 30442-0797
Probate Court has marriage and probate records; Clerk Superior Court has divorce, court and land records from 1905.
Clerk of Superior Court
P.O Box 659
Millen, GA 30442
Telephone: (478) 982-4683
Fax: (478) 982-1274
Probate Court of Jenkins County
P.O. Box 904
Millen, GA 30442
For animated maps illustrating Georgia county boundary changes, "Rotating Formation Georgia County Boundary Maps" (1758-1932) may be viewed for free at the MapofUS.org website.
Church records and the information they provide vary significantly depending on the denomination and the record keeper. They may contain information about members of the congregation, such as age, date of baptism, christening, or birth; marriage information and maiden names; and death date. For general information about Georgia denominations, see the Georgia Church Records wiki page.
Land and Property
Land and property records can place an ancestor in a particular location, provide economic information, and reveal family relationships. Land records include: deeds, abstracts and indexes, mortgages, leases, grants and land patents.
See Georgia Land and Property for additional information about early Georgia land grants from the government. After land was transferred to private ownership, subsequent transactions (generally buying and selling deeds) were usually recorded at the county courthouse and where records are currently housed.
Local histories are available for Jenkins County, Georgia Genealogy. County histories may include biographies, church, school and government history, and military information. For more information about local histories, see the wiki page section Georgia Local Histories.
Civil War Battle
The following Civil War battle was fought in Jenkins County.
- Map showing Civil War battles in Georgia.
Newspapers abstracts can sometimes be found using search phrases such as Jenkins County, Georgia Genealogy newspapers in online catalogs like:
- FamilySearch Catalog. Do a Place search for Jenkins County, Georgia Genealogy to find these and other records in the FamilySearch Catalog (For instructions see FamilySearch Catalog Place-name Search).
Online Probate Records
- 1742–1992 Georgia Wills and Probate Records 1742-1992 at Ancestry.com — index and images $
- 1742–1990 Georgia Probate Records 1742-1990 at FamilySearch.org images
Colonial courts kept some early probate records. From 1777 to 1798 and since 1852, the court of ordinary or register of probates has kept probate and guardianship records. The inferior court handled probate and guardianship matters from 1798 to 1852.
Content: Probate Records may give the decedent's date of death, names of his or her spouse, children, parents, siblings, in-laws, neighbors, associates, relatives, and their place of residence.
Record types: Wills, estates, guardianships, naturalizations, marriage, adoption, and birth and death records (not all years).
Taxes were levied on free white males over 21 and slaves aged 21 to 60. These persons are referred to as "polls." Tax listings, or digests, of a county generally list the taxable landowners and other polls and the amount of tax. The records for each county are divided by militia district.
Vital Records consist of births, adoptions, marriages, divorces, and deaths recorded on registers, certificates, and documents. A copy or an extract of most original records can be purchased from the Georgia State Department of Health , the County Clerk's office of the county where the event occurred or order electronically online..
- 1785-1950 Georgia County Marriages 1785-1950 at FamilySearch.org — index and images
- 1808-1967 Georgia Marriages 1808-1967 at FamilySearch.org — index
- 1828-1978 Georgia Marriage Records from Select Counties 1828-1978 at Ancestry.com — index and images $
- 1699-1944 Georgia Marriages 1699-1944 at Ancestry.com— index $
- 1933-1998 Georgia Death Index 1933-1998 at FamilySearch.org — index
- 1914-1927 Georgia Deaths 1914-1927 at FamilySearch.org — index and images
- 1928-1939 Georgia Deaths 1928-1939 at FamilySearch.org — index and images
Vital Record Substitutes
Genealogy Societies and Libraries
Family History Centers
Family History Centers provide one-on-one assistance and free access to premium genealogical websites. In addition, many centers have free how-to genealogy classes. See Family History Center for more information. Search the online FHC directory for a nearby family history center.
- Jenkins County, GA History, Records, Facts and Genealogy
- Georgia Genealogy Network Community on Google+
- Georgia Genealogy Network Group on Facebook
- USGenWeb Jenkins County, Georgia project. May have maps, name indexes, history or other information for this county.
- FamilySearch Catalog
- Jenkins County, Georgia Genealogy and Family History (Linkpendium)
- ↑ Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Jenkins County, Georgia. Page 157 At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- ↑ The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- ↑ Paul K. Graham, Georgia Courthouse Disasters (Decatur, Georgia: Genealogy Co., 2013), 38. At various libraries (WorldCat).
- ↑ Heritage Preservation Services, Civil War Battle Summaries by State, (accessed 13 August, 2012)
- This page was last modified on 16 November 2015, at 02:24.
- This page has been accessed 8,865 times.
Future Changes to the Wiki
Changes are coming to the FamilySearch Research Wiki in the near future. Find out more on the Wiki Community News page.Community News