Kedington, Essex and SuffolkEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Guide to Kedington, Essex and Suffolk family history and genealogy: parish registers, transcripts, census records, birth records, marriage records, and death records.
|Kedington, Essex and Suffolk|
|Poor Law Union||Risbridge PLU|
|Parish registers: 1654|
|Bishop's Transcripts: 1564|
|Diocese||Pre-1837 - Norwich; Post-1836 - Ely|
|Probate Court||Court of the Archdeaconry of Sudbury|
|Location of Archive|
|Essex Record Office|
Kedington, or Ketton, is a village and a parish in Risbridge district; the village and most of the parish is in Suffolk, but part of it is in Essex. The village stands on the river Stour, 2 1/2 miles ENE of Haverhill railway station. The parish contains also Brockley Green, Great Wilseys, and the Risbridge workhouse.
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
Kedington is an Ancient Parish in the counties of Suffolk and Essex.
- Parish Registers begin in 1654
- Bishop Transcripts begin in 1564
Kedington, Essex and Suffolk parish registers of christenings, marriages and burials are available online for the following years:
|1813 = Suffolk Marriage Index (1813-37) (FindMyPast) - (£)|
|BOYD = Boyd's Marriage Index (FindMyPast) - (£)|
|NBI = National Burial Index (FindMyPast) - (£)|
|Kedington, Essex and Suffolk Parish Online Records|
Additional places included in this parish are Great Wilsey and Brockley Green.
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library. The first film number is 474641.
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Essex Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Maps and Gazetteers
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
- ↑ Samuel A. Lewis, [ http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=51068#s13 A Topographical Dictionary of England] (1848), pp. 640-643. Date accessed: 16 May 2014.
- ↑ John M. Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales, (1870). Adapted: date accessed 20 May 2013.
- ↑ 'Suffolk Marriage Index (1813-37) Coverage', Find My Past, accessed 9 December 2013.
- ↑ Percival Boyd, A List of Parishes in Boyd's Marriage Index (London: Society of Genealogists, 1987). Digital version at FamilySearch Books Online.
- ↑ 'Parish Records - National Burial Index Records 1538 - 2005 Coverage', Find My Past, accessed 4 December 2013.
- This page was last modified on 24 June 2014, at 22:19.
- This page has been accessed 1,879 times.
Share Your Opinion!
Give feedback on our new look! Tell us what you like, and what you would do differently.Give Feedback