Kent County, Delaware GenealogyEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
- This article is about a county in state of Delaware. For other uses, see Kent (disambiguation)
Guide to Kent County, Delaware ancestry, family history, and genealogy birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
|New Castle County, Delaware|
Location in the state of Delaware
Location of Delaware in the U.S.
|Founded||August 8, 1673|
Kent County Courthouse
414 Federal Street
Dover, De 19901
Clerk of Peace has marriage records.
Clerk Superior Court has divorce and court records.
Recorder of Deeds has land records from 1680.
Register of Wills has probate records. 
Kent County Levy Court
555 Bay Road
Dover, DE 19901
Kent County, Delaware Historical Facts
- Renamed from St. Johns County, 17 December 1682.
- Interesting note - Kent County is one of few counties bordering another county with same same across state line, Kent County, Maryland
For animated maps illustrating Delaware County boundary changes, "Rotating Formation Delaware County Boundary Maps" (1673-1841) may be viewed for free at the MapofUS.org website.
Places / Localities
Native American Reservations
Hundreds: More information can be found at Delaware Hundreds.
- Dover Air Force Base
Kent County, Delaware Genealogy Resources
For tips on accessing Kent County, Delaware Genealogy census records online, see: Delaware Census.
Emigration and Immigration
Ethnic, Political or Religious Groups
- USGS GNIS
Land and Property
- A Census of Pensioners for Revolutionary or Military Services: With their Names, Ages, and Places of Residence, as Returned by the Marshalls of the Several Judicial Districts, Under the Act for Taking the Sixth Census]. 1841. Digital version at Google Books. 1967 reprint: FHL Collection 973 X2pc 1840. [See Delaware, Kent County on page 126.]
Naturalization and Citizenship
Index and Images
Kent County, Delaware Probate records, 1680-1800 on line at http://search.ancestryinstitution.com/search/db.aspx?dbid=4020 original data: Valinger, Leon de, com/ Calendar of Kent County, Delaware Probate Records, 1680-1800.
- DeValinger, Leon. A Calendar of Kent County, Delaware Probate Records, 1680-1800. Dover, Delaware: Public Archives Commission, 1944. (Family History Library film 1035860 item 4; fiche 6051248.) Facsimile reproduction of the original (Family History Library book 975.14 P28d.)
- Indexes to probate records 1801-1833, in three volumes by Mary Marshall Brewer (Lewes,Del.: Delmarva Roots, 2002.)
Societies and Libraries
Family History Centers
- Kent County, DE History, Records, Facts and Genealogy
- Delaware Genealogy Network Community on Google+
- Delaware Genealogy Network Group on Facebook
- The Kent County DEGenWeb Project, an member of The DEGenWeb Project, an affiliate of The USGenWeb Project.
- The USGenWeb Archives Project for Kent County
- The USGenWeb Archives Project for Kent County. (Backup site)
- FamilySearch.org FamilySearch Catalog for Kent County
- Kent County, Delaware Genealogy and Family History (Linkpendium)
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), New Castle, Delaware Page 121 At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- This page was last modified on 6 February 2015, at 03:47.
- This page has been accessed 8,240 times.
New to the Research Wiki?
In the FamilySearch Research Wiki, you can learn how to do genealogical research or share your knowledge with others.Learn More