Kentucky, Freedmen's Bureau Field Office Records (FamilySearch Historical Records)Edit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
|This article describes a collection of historical records available at FamilySearch.org.|
Access the records: Kentucky, Freedmen's Bureau Field Office Records, 1865-1872 .
The Bureau of Refugees, Freedmen, and Abandoned Lands (often called the Freedmen’s Bureau) was created in 1865 at the end of the American Civil War to supervise relief efforts including education, health care, food and clothing, refugee camps, legalization of marriages, employment, labor contracts, and securing back pay, bounty payments and pensions. These records include letters and endorsements sent and received, account books, applications for rations, applications for relief, court records, labor contracts, registers of bounty claimants, registers of complaints, registers of contracts, registers of disbursements, registers of freedmen issued rations, registers of patients, reports, rosters of officers and employees, special and general orders and circulars received, special orders and circulars issued, records relating to claims, court trials, property restoration, and homesteads. The collection includes records from 1865 to 1872. For a list of Freedmen's Bureau personnel see the descriptive pamphlet. A descriptive pamphlet
|You can browse through images in this collection by visiting the browse page for Kentucky, Freedmen's Bureau Field Office Records, 1865-1872.|
Record History, Content and Use
For details about the contents of these records, their history, and help using them, see the wiki article: United States Freedmen’s Bureau Records (FamilySearch Historical Records)
Search the Collection
To browse by image:
To search the collection you will need to follow this series of links
⇒Select "Browse through images" on the initial collection page
⇒Select the appropriate "Freedmen's Bureau Office or Subordinate Field Office Location"
⇒Select the appropriate "NARA Roll Number-Contents" which takes you to the images.
Look at each image comparing the information with what you already know about your ancestors to determine if the image relates to them. You may need to look at several images and compare the information about the individuals listed in those images to your ancestors to make this determination. Keep in mind:
- There may be more than one person in the records with the same name.
- You may not be sure of your own ancestor’s name.
- Your ancestor may have used different names or variations of their name throughout their life.
- Mapping the Freedmen's Bureau
- NARA Freedmen's Bureau Records: An Overview
- NARA A Genealogical Finding Aid
- NARA Select Images from Freedmen's Bureau Records
- Publications of the Freedmen and Southern Society Project
- The Freedmen's Bureau Online. Records of the Bureau of Refugees, Freedmen and Abandoned Lands.
- Suffolk University,Boston
Related Wiki Articles
- African American Freedmen's Bureau Records
- Quick Guide to African American Records
- Kentucky African Americans
- African American Research
How You Can Contribute
| We welcome user additions to FamilySearch Historical Records wiki articles. We are looking for additional information that will help readers understand the topic and better use the available records. We also need translations for collection titles and images in articles about records written in languages other than English. For specific needs, please visit WikiProject FamilySearch Records. |
Please follow these guidelines as you make changes. Thank you for any contributions you may provide.
Citations for This Collection
Citing your sources makes it easy for others to find and evaluate the records you used. When you copy information from a record, list where you found that information. Here you can find citations already created for the entire collection and for each individual record or image.
- "Kentucky, Freedmen's Bureau Field Office Records, 1865-1872." Database with Images. FamilySearch. http://FamilySearch.org : accessed 2016. Citing NARA microfilm publication M1904. Washington, D.C.: National Archives and Records Administration, n.d.
|The citation for an image is available on each image in this collection by clicking Show Citation at the bottom left of the image screen. You can browse through images in this collection by visiting the browse page for Kentucky, Freedmen's Bureau Field Office Records, 1865-1872.|
- This page was last modified on 20 January 2016, at 22:31.
- This page has been accessed 1,592 times.
Future Changes to the Wiki
Changes are coming to the FamilySearch Research Wiki in the near future. Find out more on the Wiki Community News page.Community News