Lauderdale County, Mississippi GenealogyEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Guide to Lauderdale County Mississippi ancestry, family history, and genealogy research page birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
Lauderdale County Courthouse
410 Constitution Ave; PO Box 1587
Meridian, MS 39302
Clerk Chancery Court has divorce, probate and land records. Clerk Circuit Court has marriage and court records. County Health Department has birth and death records. 
1833--Lauderdale County was created 23 December 1833 from the Choctaw Cession.
County seat: Meridian 
For animated maps illustrating Mississippi county boundary changes, "Rotating Formation Mississippi County Boundary Maps" (1785-1918) may be viewed for free at the MapofUS.org website.
For a list of record loss in Mississippi counties see: Mississippi Counties with Burned Courthouses
For tips on accessing Lauderdale County, Mississippi Genealogy census records online, see: Mississippi Census.
Church records and the information they provide vary significantly depending on the denomination and the record keeper. They may contain information about members of the congregation, such as age, date of baptism, christening, or birth; marriage information and maiden names; and death date. For general information about Mississippi denominations, view the Mississippi Church Records wiki page.
Land and Property
Land and property records can place an ancestor in a particular location, provide economic information, and reveal family relationships. Land records include: deeds, abstracts and indexes, mortgages, leases, grants and land patents.
See Mississippi Land and Property for additional information about early Mississippi land ownership. After land was transferred to private ownership, subsequent transactions were usually recorded at the county courthouse and where records are currently housed.
Local histories are available for Lauderdale County, Mississippi Genealogy. County histories may include biographies, church, school and government history, and military information. For more information about local histories see the wiki page section Mississippi Local Histories.
- Maps of Mississippi (1785-1918)
- Family Maps of Lauderdale County, Mississippi Genealogy (land patent maps) at HistoryGeo.com ($). Free surname search.
- Men from Lauderdale County served in various regiments. Men often joined a company (within a regiment) that originated in their county. Listed below are companies that were specifically formed in Lauderdale County.
- - 1st Regiment, Mississippi Cavalry Reserves
- Company A - Reynold’s Company
- - 2nd Regiment, Mississippi Cavalry
- Company C - Lauderdale Cavalry
- - 5th Regiment, Mississippi Cavalry
- Company G - Allen’s Company
- - 5th Regiment, Mississippi Infantry
- Company C - Lauderdale Springs Greys
- - 8th Regiment, Mississippi Infantry
- Company E - Tallahoma Hardshells [also listed as Co. H]
- Company H - Southern Sentinels [also listed as Co. B]
- Company I - Confederate Guards [also listed as Co. G]
Civil War Battle
The following Civil War Battle was fought in Lauderdale County
- Map showing Civil war battles in Mississippi.
Additional newspapers abstracts can sometimes be found using search phrases such as Lauderdale County, Mississippi Genealogy newspapers in online catalogs like:
Probate records are held by the Lauderdale County, Mississippi Genealogy Clerk of Court and are housed at the Lauderdale County, Mississippi Genealogy Courthouse. Microfilmed records can be found online at Mississippi Probate Records, 1781-1930. See the wiki page Mississippi Probate Records for information about how to use probate records.
Content: Probate Records may give the decedent's date of death, names of his or her spouse, children, parents, siblings, in-laws, neighbors, associates, relatives, and their place of residence.
Record types: Wills, estates, guardianships, naturalizations, and adoptions.
Mississippi tax records replace missing censuses and provide lists of residents during years between censuses. There may be gaps of several years. For more information, see Mississippi Taxation.
Vital Records consist of births, adoptions, marriages, divorces, and deaths recorded on registers, certificates, and documents. Mississippi law did not require keeping birth or death records until 1912. Births and deaths are kept by the Mississippi Bureau of Vital Statistics. Marriage records are kept by the county. See also How to order Mississippi Vital Records or order electronically online.
See Mississippi Vital Records for more information on getting Mississippi records.
- 1839-1916 - Lauderdale County Marriage Books 1-15 and A-C Index 1839-1916 in International Genealogical Index at FamilySearch - free.
Vital Record Substitutes
Genealogy Societies and Libraries
Family History Centers
Family History Centers provide one-on-one assistance and free access to premium genealogical websites. In addition, many centers have free how-to genealogy classes. See Family History Centers for more information. Search the online FHC directory for a nearby family history center.
- Lauderdale County, MS History, Records, Facts and Genealogy
- Mississippi Genealogy Network Community on Google+
- Mississippi Genealogy Network Group on Facebook
- USGenWeb project. May have maps, name indexes, history or other information for this county. Select the state, then the county.
- FamilySearch Catalog
- Lauderdale County, MS Archives History, Inc. - Virtual Research Room!
- ↑ Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Lauderdale County, Mississippi page 380, At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- ↑ The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- ↑ Heritage Preservation Services, Civil War Battle Summaries by State, (accessed 7 August 2012)
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 4.2 Genealogical Society of Utah, Parish and Vital Records List (July 1998). Microfiche. Digital version at https://www.familysearch.org/learn/wiki/en/images/b/be/Igimississippij.pdf.
- This page was last modified on 6 February 2015, at 03:30.
- This page has been accessed 7,503 times.
New to the Research Wiki?
In the FamilySearch Research Wiki, you can learn how to do genealogical research or share your knowledge with others.Learn More