Laurens County, Georgia GenealogyEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Guide to Laurens County, Georgia ancestry, family history, and genealogy birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
|Laurens County, Georgia|
Location in the state of Georgia
|Founded||December 10, 1807|
|Address|| Laurens County Courthouse|
101 N Jefferson Street
Dublin, GA 31021-6198
Laurens County Website
Laurens County Courthouse
101 N Jefferson Street
Dublin, GA 31021-6198
Probate Court has marriage and probate records; Clerk Superior Court has divorce, court, and land records from 1807; County Health Department has birth and death records.
Clerk of Superior Court
101 N. Jefferson St.
P.O. Box 2028
Dublin, GA 31040
Phone: (478) 272-3210
Fax: (478) 275-2595
Probate Court of Laurens County
P.O. Box 2098
Dublin, GA 31040
Phone: (478) 272-2566
For animated maps illustrating Georgia county boundary changes, "Rotating Formation Georgia County Boundary Maps" (1758-1932) may be viewed for free at the MapofUS.org website.
No reported loss or damage.
Church records and the information they provide vary significantly depending on the denomination and the record keeper. They may contain information about members of the congregation, such as age, date of baptism, christening, or birth; marriage information and maiden names; and death date. For general information about Georgia denominations, see the Georgia Church Records wiki page.
Land and Property
Land and property records can place an ancestor in a particular location, provide economic information, and reveal family relationships. Land records include: deeds, abstracts and indexes, mortgages, leases, grants and land patents.
See Georgia Land and Property for additional information about early Georgia land grants from the government. After land was transferred to private ownership, subsequent transactions (generally buying and selling deeds) were usually recorded at the county courthouse and where records are currently housed.
Local histories are available for Laurens County, Georgia Genealogy. County histories may include biographies, church, school and government history, and military information. For more information about local histories, see the wiki page section Georgia Local Histories.
Regiments. Service men in Laurens County, Georgia Genealogy served in various regiments. Men often joined a company (within a regiment) that originated in their county. Listed below are companies that were specifically formed in Laurens County, Georgia Genealogy:
- - 14th Regiment, Georgia Infantry (Confederate), Company H
- - 49th Regiment, Georgia Infantry (Confederate), Company G
- - 57th Regiment, Georgia Infantry (Confederate), Companies B, C and I
- - 63rd Regiment, Georgia Infantry (Confederate) , Company H
- - Georgia USGenWeb Archives Project (other war's informantion is given)
- Hart, Bertha Sheppard. 1941. The official history of Laurens county, Georgia, 1807-1941. (page 56-69) 975.8535 H2H digital version
- Georgia. Court of Ordinary (Laurens County). 1965. Confederate pension roll, 1890-1938; Confederate soldiers records; and Confederate soldiers license, 1901-1906. Salt Lake City, Utah: Filmed by the Genealogical Society of Utah. film 422024
Newspapers abstracts can sometimes be found using search phrases such as Laurens County, Georgia Genealogy newspapers in online catalogs like:
- FamilySearch Catalog. Do a Place search for Laurens County, Georgia Genealogy to find these and other records in the FamilySearch Catalog (For instructions see FamilySearch Catalog Place-name Search).
Online Probate Records
- 1742–1992 - Georgia Wills and Probate Records 1742-1992 at Ancestry.com — index and images $
- 1742–1990 - Georgia Probate Records 1742-1990 at FamilySearch.org images
Colonial courts kept some early probate records. From 1777 to 1798 and since 1852, the court of ordinary or register of probates has kept probate and guardianship records. The inferior court handled probate and guardianship matters from 1798 to 1852.
Content: Probate Records may give the decedent's date of death, names of his or her spouse, children, parents, siblings, in-laws, neighbors, associates, relatives, and their place of residence.
Record types: Wills, estates, guardianships, naturalizations, marriage, adoption, and birth and death records (not all years).
- 1809-1840 - Wills 1809-1840 (digital images) Georgia Pioneers $
- 1809-1840 - Index to Wills, Vol. 1, 1809-1840 Georgia Pioneers $
- 1840-1868 - Index to Wills, Vol. 2, 1840-1868 Georgia Pioneers $
Taxes were levied on free white males over 21 and slaves aged 21 to 60. These persons are referred to as "polls." Tax listings, or digests, of a county generally list the taxable landowners and other polls and the amount of tax. The records for each county are divided by militia district.
Vital Records consist of births, adoptions, marriages, divorces, and deaths recorded on registers, certificates, and documents. A copy or an extract of most original records can be purchased from the Georgia State Department of Health , the County Clerk's office of the county where the event occurred or order electronically online..
- 1785-1950 Georgia County Marriages 1785-1950 at FamilySearch.org — index and images
- 1808-1967 Georgia Marriages 1808-1967 at FamilySearch.org — index
- 1828-1978 Georgia Marriage Records from Select Counties 1828-1978 at Ancestry.com — index and images $
- 1699-1944 Georgia Marriages 1699-1944 at Ancestry.com— index $
- 1809-1855 - Laurens County Marriage Books A, B, D, E, G Index 1809-1855. Batch M713172 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1851-1868 - Laurens County Marriage Index 1851-1868. Batch M713171 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1853-1886 - Laurens County Marriage Books I and J Index 1853-1886. Batch M713173 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1892-1895 - Laurens County Marriage Book K Index 1892-1895. Batch M713174 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1885-1886 - Laurens County Marriages 1885-1886 (from newspapers) Georgia Pioneers $
- 1933 - 1998 Georgia Death Index 1933-1998 at FamilySearch.org — index
- 1914 - 1927 Georgia Deaths 1914-1927 at FamilySearch.org — index and images
- 1928 - 1938 Georgia Deaths 1928-1938 at FamilySearch.org — index and images
Vital Record Substitutes
Genealogy Societies and Libraries
Laurens County Historical Society
311 Academy Ave
Family History Centers
Family History Centers provide one-on-one assistance and free access to premium genealogical websites. In addition, many centers have free how-to genealogy classes. See Family History Center for more information. Search the online FHC directory for a nearby family history center.
- Laurens County, GA History, Records, Facts and Genealogy
- Georgia Genealogy Network Community on Google+
- Georgia Genealogy Network Group on Facebook
- USGenWeb Laurens County, Georgia project. May have maps, name indexes, history or other information for this county.
- FamilySearch Catalog
- Laurens County, Georgia Genealogy and Family History (Linkpendium)
- Georgia Pioneers Georgia Pioneers
- ↑ Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Laurens County, Georgia. Page 157 At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- ↑ The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- ↑ Paul K. Graham, Georgia Courthouse Disasters (Decatur, Georgia: Genealogy Co., 2013), 38. At various libraries (WorldCat).
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 4.2 4.3 Genealogical Society of Utah, Parish and Vital Records List (July 1998). Microfiche. Digital version at https://www.familysearch.org/learn/wiki/en/images/5/57/Igigeorgiael.pdf.
- This page was last modified on 16 November 2015, at 02:35.
- This page has been accessed 12,944 times.
Future Changes to the Wiki
Changes are coming to the FamilySearch Research Wiki in the near future. Find out more on the Wiki Community News page.Community News