Lewis County, Kentucky GenealogyEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Guide to Lewis County, Kentucky ancestry, family history, and genealogy birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
|Lewis County, Kentucky|
Location in the state of Kentucky
Location of Kentucky in the U.S.
|Founded||December 2, 1806|
There has been no boundary changes since the county was formed. For animated maps illustrating Kentucky county boundary changes, "Rotating Formation Kentucky County Boundary Maps" (1776-1939) may be viewed for free at the MapofUS.org website.
For a list of record loss in Kentucky counties see: Kentucky Counties with Burned Courthouses
|Bald Point (hist.)||Emerson||Kirkville||Rugless|
|Buena Vista||Epworth||Mount Vernon (hist.)||Saint Paul|
|Burtonville||Fearisville||Nashtown||Saint Marys (hist.)|
|Clarksburg||Glen Springs||Poplar Flat||Tannery|
African American Research
The following have information concerning African American research. Both should be used:
- the KY African American Griots Project ~ The Kentucky African American Griots Project
- Sandi Gorin's Tips ~ Hangings in Kentucky 1792 - 1900
- African American Research (US) has more information about the kinds of records
- Kentucky Minorities has information specific to Kentucky African Americans.
Biographies, Family Histories/Trees, GEDCOM files etc.
- KY Biographies ~ Jeff Murphy's Kentucky Biographies Project
Kentucky cemetery records often identify birth, death, relationship, and military information, as well as religious affiliation.
- Lewis Co. KY USGenWeb Tombstone Project usually gives the names of the deceased in alphabetical order by last name with birth and death dates plus any remarks.
- The KY Historical Society’s Cemetery Database
- African American Cemeteries Online ~ Partial index/transcriptions of African American cemeteries
- Cemetery Junction ~ Links to cemetery transcriptions
- Naming the Forgotten ~ Naming the Forgotten - The Eastern State Hospital Project
- Kentucky Cemeteries lists the national cemeteries in Kentucky with links to their web sites. The first link under Online Kentucky Cemeteries goes to the Kentucky section of Interment.net
- Random Acts of Genealogical Kindness Local volunteers may take photographs of headstones found in county cemeteries.
- Find A Grave can be searched by the name of a person or family to find where a person is buried. Usually gives birth and death dates often with a picture of the tombstone. May give obituaries, names of family members and links to their information in Find A Grave.
- Find A Grave also gives a list of cemeteries in Lewis County and links to the information for the individuals buried there,
- The FamilySearch Catalog lists some records of cemeteries in Lewis County. Some of the books or others may be on Google Books or available at public libraries.
- ePodunk list of Lewis County cemeteries gives the names of the cemeteries in the county with a link to more information such as address, phone number, and web site.
- Linkpendium Cemeteries
- Lewis County Cemeteries
For tips on accessing Lewis County, Kentucky Genealogy census records online, see: Kentucky Census.
- Lewis Co. Kentucky 1810 Federal Census Index
- USGenWeb Census Project ~ Kentucky Census Transcriptions 1850 - 1930
- The USGenWeb Census Images ~ The USGenWeb Census Images Project
- Kentucky Census Transcriptions ~ The USGenWeb Census Project
- Census Online ~ Census Online
Church records and the information they provide vary significantly depending on the denomination and the record keeper. They may contain information about members of the congregation, such as age, date of baptism, christening, or birth; marriage information and maiden names; and death date. For general information about Kentucky denominations, view the Kentucky Church Records wiki page.
- Kentucky Christian Church Directory ~ ChurchAngel
- Catholic Parishes in the Diocese of Lexington
- Catholic Parishes in the Archdiocese of Louisville
- Lewis Counrty Ky Court of Justice
- State Board of Elections-Kentucky County Clerks Scroll down the page or use index at top to go to desired county.
- Abstracts of Early KY Court Cases Abstracts of Early Supreme Court Cases ~ KYGenWeb Special Project
- Kentucky Court of Justice Research & Reference
It is anticipated that this bibliography will eventually identify all known family histories published about residents of this county. Use this list to:
- Locate publications about direct ancestors
- Find the most updated accounts of an ancestor's family
- Identify publications, to quote Elizabeth Shown Mills, about an ancestor's "FAN Club" [Friends, Associates, and Neighbors]
- [Owens] Owens, David Hatfield. Owens Family of Virginia (Richmond, King George, Stafford, Prince William, Fauquier Counties) and Kentucky (Mason, Lewis, Fleming, Bracken, Mercer, Boyle Counties). Ann Arbor, Mich.: D.H. Owens, 1991. FHL Book 929.273 Ow2od 1991
Land and property records can place an ancestor in a particular location, provide economic information, and reveal family relationships. Land records include: deeds, abstracts and indexes, mortgages, leases, grants and land patents.
See Kentucky Land and Property for additional information about early Kentucky land grants. After land was transferred to private ownership, subsequent transactions were usually recorded at the county courthouse and where records are currently housed.
Local histories are available for Lewis County, Kentucky Genealogy. County histories may include biographies, church, school and government history, and military information. For more information about local histories see the wiki page section Kentucky Local Histories.
- Maps of Kentucky (1776-1939)
- KYGenWeb compiled list of maps
- Click on the county to go to the KYGenWeb site
- 1895 Atlas-Lewis County Kentucky
Army & Air Corp World II Casulty List
Lewis County Kentucky World War II Casulties Army and Air Force
List of Revolutionary War Pensioners
Soldiers of the Great War, Fallen Kentucky Soldiers in WWI, Lewis County
Regiments. Service men in Lewis County, Kentucky Genealogy served in various regiments. Men often joined a company (within a regiment) that originated in their county. Listed below are companies that were specifically formed in Lewis County, Kentucky Genealogy:
- - 4th Regiment, Kentucky Mounted Infantry (Union), Company I
- - 16th Regiment, Kentucky Infantry (Union), Company K
- - 22nd Regiment, Kentucky Infantry (Union), Company E
- 1912-1950 Kentucky Confederate Pension Applications 1912-1950 at FamilySearch — index and images
- Kentucky Postcards ~ The USGenWeb Archives Penny Postcard Project
- The KYGenWeb Footsteps ~ The Kentucky Footsteps Archives ~ KYGenWeb Special Project
Additional newspapers abstracts can sometimes be found using search phrases such as Lewis County, Kentucky Genealogy newspapers in online catalogs like:
Probate records are held by the Lewis County, Kentucky Genealogy Clerk of Court and are housed at the Lewis County, Kentucky Genealogy Courthouse. Microfilmed records can be found online at Kentucky, Probate Records, 1792-1977. See the wiki page Kentucky Probate Records for information about how to use probate records.
Content: Probate Records may give the decedent's date of death, names of his or her spouse, children, parents, siblings, in-laws, neighbors, associates, relatives, and their place of residence.
Record types: Wills, estates, guardianships, naturalizations, and adoptions.
Online Probate Records
- 1774 – 1999 Kentucky Wills and Probate Records 1774-1999 at Ancestry.com — index and images $
- 1727 – 1990 Kentucky Probate Records 1727-1990 at FamilySearch — images
1807-1930 - Will Books A to I (1807-1930) have been digitized by FamilySearch - free.
Vital records consist of birth, death, marriage and divorce records. Although Kentucky enacted a statute in 1852-1862 requiring registration of births and deaths,many counties did not comply. A second law was written in 1874-1879, and 1892-1910 but, again, was not always followed. By 1911, the law was more clearly defined and kept by 1920. Any existing births 1852-1960 and death records 1852-1953 can be accessed online. See How to Find Kentucky Birth Records and How to Find Kentucky Death Records for links to indexes and images.
Original marriage records are held at the office of the Lewis County, Kentucky Genealogy Clerk, with divorce records 1849-1958 located with the Lewis County, Kentucky Genealogy Circuit Court. For more information see How to Find Kentucky Marriage Records. For Kentucky divorce records see the wiki page Kentucky Vital Records. See also How to order Kentucky Vital Records
- 1852-1861 - Lewis County Birth Index 1852-1861. Batch C517621 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1875 - Lewis County Birth Index 1875. Batch C517622 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1892-1910 - Lewis County, KENTUCKY Delayed Births 1892-1910
- 1797-1954 - Kentucky, County Marriages, 1797-1954 at FamilySearch — index and images
- 1852-1861 - Lewis County Marriage Index 1852-1861. Batch M517621 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1875-1876 - Lewis County Marriage Index 1875-1876. Batch M517623 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1876-1878 - Lewis County Marriage Index 1876-1878. Batch M517624 at FamilySearch - free.
- Kentucky Marriage Project-Lewis County
- Lewis County Marriages
Societies and Libraries
Family History Centers
Family History Centers provide one-on-one assistance and free access to premium genealogical websites. In addition, many centers have free how-to genealogy classes. See Family History Center for more information. Search the online FHC directory for a nearby family history center.
- Lewis County, KY History, Records, Facts and Genealogy
- FamilySearch Catalog
- KyGenWeb-Lewis County
- Lewis County Kentucky History & Genealogy
- Lewis County Kentucky Archives Project
- Lewis County, Kentucky Genealogy and Family History (Linkpendium)
- Lewis County KY Genealogy (Kentucky Genealogy)
- ↑ Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Lewis County, Kentucky page 272, At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- ↑ The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 3.2 3.3 3.4 Genealogical Society of Utah, Parish and Vital Records List (July 1998). Microfiche. Digital version at https://familysearch.org/learn/wiki/en/images/0/0b/Igikentuckygl.pdf.
- This page was last modified on 25 January 2016, at 21:25.
- This page has been accessed 22,452 times.
Future Changes to the Wiki
Changes are coming to the FamilySearch Research Wiki in the near future. Find out more on the Wiki Community News page.Community News