Lewis County, KentuckyEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Guide to Lewis County Kentucky genealogy. Birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
|Lewis County, Kentucky|
Location in the state of Kentucky
Location of Kentucky in the U.S.
|Founded||December 2, 1806|
There has been no boundary changes since the county was formed.
|Bald Point (hist.)||Emerson||Kirkville||Rugless|
|Buena Vista||Epworth||Mount Vernon (hist.)||Saint Paul|
|Burtonville||Fearisville||Nashtown||Saint Marys (hist.)|
|Clarksburg||Glen Springs||Poplar Flat||Tannery|
African American Research
The following have information concerning African American research. Both should be used:
- the KY African American Griots Project ~ The Kentucky African American Griots Project
- Sandi Gorin's Tips ~ Hangings in Kentucky 1792 - 1900
- African American Research (US) has more information about the kinds of records
- Kentucky Minorities has information specific to Kentucky African Americans.
Biographies, Family Histories/Trees, GEDCOM files etc.
- KY Biographies ~ Jeff Murphy's Kentucky Biographies Project
Kentucky cemetery records often identify birth, death, relationship, and military information, as well as religious affiliation.
- Lewis Co. KY USGenWeb Tombstone Project usually gives the names of the deceased in alphabetical order by last name with birth and death dates plus any remarks.
- The KY Historical Society’s Cemetery Database
- African American Cemeteries Online ~ Partial index/transcriptions of African American cemeteries
- Cemetery Junction ~ Links to cemetery transcriptions
- Naming the Forgotten ~ Naming the Forgotten - The Eastern State Hospital Project
- Kentucky Cemeteries lists the national cemeteries in Kentucky with links to their web sites. The first link under Online Kentucky Cemeteries goes to the Kentucky section of Interment.net
- Random Acts of Genealogical Kindness Local volunteers may take photographs of headstones found in county cemeteries.
- Find A Grave can be searched by the name of a person or family to find where a person is buried. Usually gives birth and death dates often with a picture of the tombstone. May give obituaries, names of family members and links to their information in Find A Grave.
- Find A Grave also gives a list of cemeteries in Lewis County and links to the information for the individuals buried there,
- The Family History Library Catalog lists some records of cemeteries in Lewis County. Some of the books or others may be on Google Books or available at public libraries.
- ePodunk list of Lewis County cemeteries gives the names of the cemeteries in the county with a link to more information such as address, phone number, and web site.
- Linkpendium Cemeteries
- Lewis County Cemeteries
For tips on accessing Lewis County, Kentucky census records online, see: Kentucky Census.
- Lewis Co. Kentucky 1810 Federal Census Index
- USGenWeb Census Project ~ Kentucky Census Transcriptions 1850 - 1930
- The USGenWeb Census Images ~ The USGenWeb Census Images Project
- Kentucky Census Transcriptions ~ The USGenWeb Census Project
- Census Online ~ Census Online
Church records and the information they provide vary significantly depending on the denomination and the record keeper. They may contain information about members of the congregation, such as age, date of baptism, christening, or birth; marriage information and maiden names; and death date. For general information about Kentucky denominations, view the Kentucky Church Records wiki page.
- Kentucky Christian Church Directory ~ ChurchAngel
- Catholic Parishes in the Diocese of Lexington
- Catholic Parishes in the Archdiocese of Louisville
- Lewis Counrty Ky Court of Justice
- State Board of Elections-Kentucky County Clerks Scroll down the page or use index at top to go to desired county.
- Abstracts of Early KY Court Cases Abstracts of Early Supreme Court Cases ~ KYGenWeb Special Project
- Kentucky Court of Justice Research & Reference
It is anticipated that this bibliography will eventually identify all known family histories published about residents of this county. Use this list to:
- Locate publications about direct ancestors
- Find the most updated accounts of an ancestor's family
- Identify publications, to quote Elizabeth Shown Mills, about an ancestor's "FAN Club" [Friends, Associates, and Neighbors]
- [Owens] Owens, David Hatfield. Owens Family of Virginia (Richmond, King George, Stafford, Prince William, Fauquier Counties) and Kentucky (Mason, Lewis, Fleming, Bracken, Mercer, Boyle Counties). Ann Arbor, Mich.: D.H. Owens, 1991. FHL Book 929.273 Ow2od 1991
Land and property records can place an ancestor in a particular location, provide economic information, and reveal family relationships. Land records include: deeds, abstracts and indexes, mortgages, leases, grants and land patents.
See Kentucky Land and Property for additional information about early Kentucky land grants. After land was transferred to private ownership, subsequent transactions were usually recorded at the county courthouse and where records are currently housed.
Local histories are available for Lewis County, Kentucky. County histories may include biographies, church, school and government history, and military information. For more information about local histories see the wiki page section Kentucky Local Histories.
- KYGenWeb compiled list of maps
- Click on the county to go to the KYGenWeb site
- 1895 Atlas-Lewis County Kentucky
Army & Air Corp World II Casulty List
Lewis County Kentucky World War II Casulties Army and Air Force
List of Revolutionary War Pensioners
Soldiers of the Great War, Fallen Kentucky Soldiers in WWI, Lewis County
Regiments. Service men in Lewis County, Kentucky served in various regiments. Men often joined a company (within a regiment) that originated in their county. Listed below are companies that were specifically formed in Lewis County, Kentucky:
- - 4th Regiment, Kentucky Mounted Infantry (Union), Company I
- - 16th Regiment, Kentucky Infantry (Union), Company K
- - 22nd Regiment, Kentucky Infantry (Union), Company E
- Kentucky Postcards ~ The USGenWeb Archives Penny Postcard Project
- The KYGenWeb Footsteps ~ The Kentucky Footsteps Archives ~ KYGenWeb Special Project
Additional newspapers abstracts can sometimes be found using search phrases such as Lewis County, Kentucky newspapers in online catalogs like:
Probate records are held by the Lewis County, Kentucky Clerk of Court and are housed at the Lewis County, Kentucky Courthouse. Microfilmed records can be found online at Kentucky, Probate Records, 1792-1977. See the wiki page Kentucky Probate Records for information about how to use probate records.
Content: Probate Records may give the decedent's date of death, names of his or her spouse, children, parents, siblings, in-laws, neighbors, associates, relatives, and their place of residence.
Record types: Wills, estates, guardianships, naturalizations, and adoptions.
- 1807-1930 - Will Books A to I (1807-1930) have been digitized by FamilySearch - free.
Vital records consist of birth, death, marriage and divorce records. Although Kentucky enacted a statute in 1852-1862 requiring registration of births and deaths,many counties did not comply. A second law was written in 1874-1879, and 1892-1910 but, again, was not always followed. By 1911, the law was more clearly defined and kept by 1920. Any existing births 1852-1960 and death records 1852-1953 can be accessed online. See How to Find Kentucky Birth Records and How to Find Kentucky Death Records for links to indexes and images.
Original marriage records are held at the office of the Lewis County, Kentucky Clerk, with divorce records 1849-1958 located with the Lewis County, Kentucky Circuit Court. For more information see How to Find Kentucky Marriage Records. For Kentucky divorce records see the wiki page Kentucky Vital Records.
- 1852-1861 - Lewis County Birth Index 1852-1861. Batch C517621 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1875 - Lewis County Birth Index 1875. Batch C517622 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1852-1861 - Lewis County Marriage Index 1852-1861. Batch M517621 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1875-1876 - Lewis County Marriage Index 1875-1876. Batch M517623 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1876-1878 - Lewis County Marriage Index 1876-1878. Batch M517624 at FamilySearch - free.
Societies and Libraries
Family History Centers
- Family History Library Catalog
- KyGenWeb-Lewis County
- Lewis County Kentucky History & Genealogy
- Lewis County Kentucky Archives Project
- Lewis County, Kentucky Genealogy and Family History (Linkpendium)
- ↑ Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Lewis County, Kentucky page 272, At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- ↑ The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 3.2 3.3 3.4 Genealogical Society of Utah, Parish and Vital Records List (July 1998). Microfiche. Digital version at https://familysearch.org/learn/wiki/en/images/0/0b/Igikentuckygl.pdf.
- This page was last modified on 30 August 2013, at 00:59.
- This page has been accessed 8,912 times.
New to the Research Wiki?
In the FamilySearch Research Wiki, you can learn how to do genealogical research or share your knowledge with others.Learn More