Liberia, Monrovia, Census 1843 (FamilySearch Historical Records)Edit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
|This article describes a collection of historical records available at FamilySearch.org.|
Access the records: Liberia, Monrovia, Census, 1843 .
This collection is a transcribed index for the 1843 census in the town of Monrovia, colony of Liberia. You will not be able to see actual images of the census on FamilySearch; however, this census was included in a report of the 28th U.S. Congress entitled, "Information Relative to the Operations of the United States Squadron on the West Coast of Africa, the Condition of the American Colonies There, and the Commerce of the United States Therewith." A copy of the actual report is available online via Google Books with the census starting on page 308.
Census records may contain the following information:
- Marital Status
- Place of birth
- Date of immigration
- Place of residence
- Family relationships
How to Use the Record
To search this collection, it would be helpful if you knew the following information:
- Approximate year and place of residence
Search the Collection
To search by index:
Fill in the requested information in the initial search page. This search will return a list of possible matches. Compare the information about the ancestors in the list to what you already know about your ancestors to determine if this is the correct family or person. You may need to compare the information about more than one person to find your ancestor.
Tips to Keep in Mind
- There may be more than one person in the records with the same name.
- You may not be sure of your own ancestor’s name.
- Your ancestor may have used different names or variations of their name throughout their life.
- Be sure to check all possible entries before deciding which one is correct.
|FHL Place Liberia, Monrovia items or FHL Keyword Liberia, Monrovia items in the FamilySearch Library Catalog.|
- Full Census Listings for the Colony of Liberia
- The Congressional report containing the census
- Roll of Emigrants to Liberia, 1820-1843; and Liberian Census Data, 1843 (free registration required to access full data analysis)
- Africa Websites
- Africa Historic Maps
Related Wiki Articles
How You Can Contribute
| We welcome user additions to FamilySearch Historical Records wiki articles. We are looking for additional information that will help readers understand the topic and better use the available records. We also need translations for collection titles and images in articles about records written in languages other than English. For specific needs, please visit WikiProject FamilySearch Records. |
Please follow these guidelines as you make changes. Thank you for any contributions you may provide.
Citations for This Collection
Citing your sources makes it easy for others to find and evaluate the records you used. When you copy information from a record, list where you found that information. Here you can find citations already created for the entire collection and for each individual record or image.
- "Liberia, Monrovia, Census, 1843." Index. FamilySearch. http://FamilySearch.org : accessed 2015. Citing United States Congress. Information Relative to the Operations of the United States Squadron on the West Coast of Africa. 28th Congress, 2nd session, Senate Document 150. Washington, D.C. Gales and Seaton, 1843.
Record Citation (or citation for the index entry):
|The citation for a record is available with each record in this collection, at the bottom of the record screen. You can search records in this collection by visiting the search page for Liberia, Monrovia, Census, 1843.|
- This page was last modified on 8 June 2015, at 18:28.
- This page has been accessed 1,020 times.
Future Changes to the Wiki
Changes are coming to the FamilySearch Research Wiki in the near future. Find out more on the Wiki Community News page.Community News