Liscard, Cheshire GenealogyEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Liscard is an area of the town of Wallasey, on the Wirral Peninsula in Merseyside, England,
Liscard was a township in Wallasey Parish, Wirral Hundred, which became a civil parish in 1866. In 1912 the whole of Liscard was added to Wallasey. It included the hamlets of Egremont and New Brighton.
The first mention of the settlement was circa 1260 as Lisnekarke. The name derives from the Irish words lios na carraige, with the name meaning "hall at the rock". In the past the name has been spelt as Liscak (1260), Lisecair (c.1277), Lysenker (1295) and Lyscart (1417).
Liscard Hall was built in 1835 by a Liverpool merchant, Sir John Tobin. Its grounds later became Central Park, and the building itself later became an art college. A “model farm” was also developed nearby by his family. The former Grade II listed arts building within the grounds of Central Park was destroyed by fire on 7 July 2008
Liscard Battery was built in 1858 to help protect shipping on the River Mersey and defend the port of Liverpool. It was equipped with seven 10-inch guns. Set back from the river and hidden by new building, it was known as "the snake in the grass" to local inhabitants. The battery was obsolete by 1912, and sold on, and houses were erected on top, and now the site has an odd appearance with only the curtain wall and ornate crenellated gatehouse surviving.
Liskard was within the Ancient parish of St Hilary Wallasey, Cheshire
Poor Law Unions
- This page was last modified on 3 February 2015, at 20:44.
- This page has been accessed 772 times.
Future Changes to the Wiki
Changes are coming to the FamilySearch Research Wiki in the near future. Find out more on the Wiki Community News page.Community News