Little Chalfield and Cottles, Wiltshire GenealogyEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Guide to Little Chalfield and Cottles, Wiltshire ancestry, family history, and genealogy: parish registers, transcripts, census records, birth records, marriage records, and death records.
|Little Chalfield and Cottles, Wiltshire|
|Poor Law Union||Bradford PLU|
|Parish registers: For records see surrounding parishes|
|Bishop's Transcripts: For records see surrounding parishes|
|Rural Deanery||Not Applicable|
|Probate Court||Search the courts of the surrounding parishes|
|Location of Archive|
|Wiltshire Record Office|
CHALFIELD, LITTLE, an extra-parochial liberty, locally in the parish of Great Chalfield, union and hundred of Bradford, Westbury and N. divisions, and Trowbridge and Bradford subdivisions, of Wilts, 3¾ miles (W.) from Melksham, with Cottles. 
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
Little Chalfield and Cottles, Wiltshire Genealogy parish registers of christenings, marriages and burials are available online for the following years:
|BIVRI = British Isles Vital Records Index (Ancestry) - (£)|
|IGI = International Genealogical Index (FamilySearch) - free|
|Little Chalfield and Cottles, Wiltshire Genealogy Online Parish Records|
Census records from 1841-1891 are available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library. To view these census images online, they are available through a number of websites for a fee ($) or free.
- FamilySearch now has all of the British Censuses available.
- findmypast ($) but free at Family History Centers and the Family History Library and various other libraries.
- Ancestry.co.uk ($) but free at Family History Centers and the Family History Library and various other libraries. The library versions are known as AncestryInstitution.com.
- The Genealogist.co.uk ($) but free at Family History Centers and the Family History Library and various other libraries.
- FreeCen is a UK census searches. It is not complete and individuals are always asked to consider helping out with transcriptions.
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Wiltshire Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Maps and Gazetteers
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
- ↑ Samuel A. Lewis, A Topographical Dictionary of England (1848), pp. 542-545. Date accessed: 30 September 2013.
- ↑ 'British Isles Vital Records Index - 2nd Ed. Breakdown of Records', Genoot, accessed 10 January 2014.
- ↑ Hugh Wallis, 'IGI Batch Numbers for Wiltshire, England,' IGI Batch Numbers, accessed 15 January 2014.
- This page was last modified on 3 February 2015, at 22:46.
- This page has been accessed 800 times.
New to the Research Wiki?
In the FamilySearch Research Wiki, you can learn how to do genealogical research or share your knowledge with others.Learn More