Llan-faes, Anglesey GenealogyEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
LLANVAES, a parish, in the union of Bangor and Beaumaris, hundred of Tyndaethwy, county of Anglesey, North Wales, 1 mile (N. N. E.) from Beaumaris. It is situated on the shore of the Menai strait, and is supposed to have derived its name, signifying "the church of the field," from a memorable battle said to have taken place in this vicinity, early in the ninth century, between Egbert, King of the West Saxons, who had effected a landing in Anglesey, near the site of the present town of Beaumaris, and a body of Welsh forces. The church, dedicated to St. Catherine, is an ancient and spacious structure, in the early style of English architecture, with a lofty square embattled tower, surmounted with pinnacles, which was built in 1811.
LLANFAES, a parish in the hundred of Tyndaethwy, and borough of Beaumaris, county Anglesey, 1 mile N. of Beaumaris, its post town, and 5 miles S.W. of Bangor, is situated on the coast of Beaumaris Bay. For more information see Llanfaes, Angelsey at Genuki.org.uk
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library. The first film number is 464298.
Maps and Gazetteers
- This page was last modified on 4 February 2015, at 18:26.
- This page has been accessed 378 times.
Future Changes to the Wiki
Changes are coming to the FamilySearch Research Wiki in the near future. Find out more on the Wiki Community News page.Community News