Llan-faes, Breconshire GenealogyEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Lanfaes is a small village on the island of Anglesey, Wales, located on the shore of the eastern entrance to the Menai Strait, the tidal waterway separating Anglesey from the north Wales coast. The ancient name of Llanfaes was Llan Ffagan Fach in honour of Ffagan, the founder of the church. It was once the llys (English: royal court) of King Cynan Dindaethwy ap Rhodri of Gwynedd (reigned 798 – 816), the seat of the cwmwd of Tindaethwy in the cantref of Rhosyr. The site gained its present name as the site of a battle in 818, the Gwaith Llanfaes (English: Battle of Llanfaes), fought between unidentified combatants.[note 1]
A Franciscan monastery was founded here by Llywelyn ap Iorwerth, built over the grave of his wife Joan, daughter of King John, who died in 1237. Wasted in the aftermath of Llywelyn's fall in 1240, it was somewhat restored with help from Edward II (reigned 1307 – 1327), but was thoroughly plundered and utterly destroyed by the men of Henry IV due to the adherence of the friars to the Welsh cause in the Glyndŵr Rising (1400 – 1415). Following a recovery, whatever remained was finally diminished by the Dissolution in 1537, with the church then turned into a barn, and Joan's stone coffin used as a watering trough.
^ Various sources assume that there was an invasion by the Mercians, by Egbert of Wessex, or by the Vikings, but there is no authority for any of these assertions. It might also have been a recurrence of the dynastic strife between Gwynedd's Cynan (reigned 798 – 816) and Hywel (reigned 816 – 825) that had raged for several years on Anglesey, from 812 onward.
1 Morgan, Thomas (1887), "Llanfaes", Handbook of the Origin of Place-names in Wales and Monmouthshire, Merthyr Tydfil: Thomas Morgan, p. 138
2 Lloyd, John Edward (1911), "The Tribal Divisions in Wales", A History of Wales from the Earliest Times to the Edwardian Conquest, I (Second ed.), London: Longmans, Green, and Co. (published 1912), p. 232
3 Parry, Henry (translator), ed. (1829), "Brut y Saeson", Archaeologia Cambrensis, Third, IX, London: J. Russell Smith (published 1863), p. 63
4 Hughes, William (1911), "Appendix D", Diocesan Histories: Bangor, London: Society for Promoting Christian Knowledge, pp. 187 – 188 (from Wikipedia)
Census records from 1841-1891 are available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library. To view these census images online, they are available through a number of websites for a fee ($) or free.
- FamilySearch now has all of the British Censuses available.
- findmypast ($) but free at Family History Centers and the Family History Library and various other libraries.
- Ancestry.co.uk ($) but free at Family History Centers and the Family History Library and various other libraries. The library versions are known as AncestryInstitution.com.
- The Genealogist.co.uk ($) but free at Family History Centers and the Family History Library and various other libraries.
- FreeCen is a UK census searches. It is not complete and individuals are always asked to consider helping out with transcriptions.
Maps and Gazetteers
- This page was last modified on 4 February 2015, at 18:27.
- This page has been accessed 394 times.
Future Changes to the Wiki
Changes are coming to the FamilySearch Research Wiki in the near future. Find out more on the Wiki Community News page.Community News