Llanbadrig, Anglesey GenealogyEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
LLANBADRIG (LLAN-BADRIG), a parish, in the hundred of Tâlybolion, union and county of Anglesey, North Wales, 5 miles (W. N. W.) from Amlwch. It is supposed to derive its name from the dedication of its church to St. Patrick, who, being commissioned by Pope Celestine to preach the doctrines of Christianity to the Irish, is said to have been, on his way thither, detained for some time in the island of Mona, the present Anglesey, and to have founded at this place, in the year 440, the first Christian church built in the district. The church is inconveniently situated on the shore, and so near to the sea that, during the prevalence of northerly or north-westerly winds, the waves break over it with such violence as occasionally to interrupt the performance of divine service, at which time the church is with some difficulty accessible. There are two places of worship for Calvinistic Methodists, two for Independents, and two for Baptists.
LLANBADRIG, a parish in the hundred of Tal-y-Bolion, county Anglesey, 3½ miles W. of Amlwch, its post town, and 7 N.W. of Llanerchymedd. It is situated at the head of a small creek on the coast, opening to the Irish Sea. The parish includes the township of Clygyrog and the little port of Cemmaes, which is visited by small vessels laden with coal and corn. For furnther information, see Llanbadrig, Anglesey at Genuki.org.uk
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library. The first film number is 464297.
Maps and Gazetteers
- This page was last modified on 4 February 2015, at 18:26.
- This page has been accessed 630 times.
Future Changes to the Wiki
Changes are coming to the FamilySearch Research Wiki in the near future. Find out more on the Wiki Community News page.Community News