Llanbeblig, Gwynedd GenealogyEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Llanbeblig is an ecclesiastical parish in the County of Gwynedd.
Today, Llanbeblig is merely a suburb of the town of Caernarfon (q.v.).
In the 1870s: "LLANBEBLIG, a township and a parish, in the district and county of Carnarvon. The township lies on the river Seiont, the Menai Strait, and the Carnarvon and Nantlle railway, 1 mile SE of Carnarvon; and includes the places called Bont-Newydd, Castellmai, and Treflan. Pop. in 1851,1,209; in 1861,1,425. Houses, 281. The increase of pop. arose from the opening of new slate quarries.—The parish contains also the borough of Carnarvon, and comprises 6,322 acres of land, and 470 of water. Real property, £27,418; of which £100 are in mines, £2,000 in railways, and £300 in gas-works. Pop. in 1851,9,883; in 1861,9,937. Houses, 2,101. The chief features are noticed in the article CARNARVoN. The living is a vicarage, united with the chapelries of Carnarvon and Waenfawr, in the diocese of Bangor. Value, £330.* Patron, the Bishop of Chester. The church is ancient and cruciform; was restored in 1842; is a plain structure, with Irish-stepped battlements; contains a beautiful figured alabaster monument to W. Griffith, brought hither from Llanvaes; is dedicated to St. Peblig or Publicus, a son of Maximus and Helena; and was given, by Richard II., to the nunnery of St. Mary at Chester." [John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72)]
For more information on Llanbeblig see Genuki - Llanbeblig
Maps and Gazetteers
- This page was last modified on 4 February 2015, at 18:33.
- This page has been accessed 709 times.
Future Changes to the Wiki
Changes are coming to the FamilySearch Research Wiki in the near future. Find out more on the Wiki Community News page.Community News