Llandewen, Anglesey GenealogyEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
LLANEDWEN (LLAN-EDWEN), a parish, in the union of Bangor and Beaumaris, hundred of Menai, county of Anglesey, North Wales, 5 miles (N. E. by N.) from Carnarvon. This parish derives its name from the dedication of the church to St. Edwen, a female saint of Saxon descent, who has been allowed a place among the saints of Wales. The church is a small singlebodied edifice, partly in the later English style; it has a bell-gable of good design at the western end, and the entrance is by a circular-headed doorway in the western wall.
LLANEDWEN, a parish in the hundred of Menai, county Anglesey, 6 miles S.W. of Beaumaris, 6 N.E. of Newborough, and 5 from Carnarvon, its post town. The Llanfair station on the Chester and Holyhead line is about 3 miles N.E. of the village, It is situated on the western coast of Menai Strait, where the Roman general, Suetonius Paulinus, effected a landing, and was one of the sacred spots of the Druids. For more information see Llandewen, Anglesey at Genuki.org.uk
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library. The first film number is 464296.
Maps and Gazetteers
- This page was last modified on 4 February 2015, at 18:26.
- This page has been accessed 316 times.
Future Changes to the Wiki
Changes are coming to the FamilySearch Research Wiki in the near future. Find out more on the Wiki Community News page.Community News