Llandybïe, Carmarthenshire GenealogyEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
LLANDEBIE (LLAN-DYBIEU), a parish in the union of LLANDILO-VAWR, hundred of ISCENNEN, county of CARMARTHEN, SOUTH WALES, 5 miles (S.) from Llandilo-Vawr. This parish, which derives its name from the dedication of its church to St. Tibieu, is pleasantly situated on the river Loughor, and on the great road from Llandilo to Swansea. The lands, of which the soil is wet and clayey, but yet fertile, are in general in a good state of cultivation, a small portion only being waste, and this consisting chiefly of the mountain of Mynydd-Mawr which is within the parish. The mountainous district abounds with coal and limestone, which are obtained in great quantities for the supply of the neighbouring districts, and the procuring of which affords employment to a large portion of the poorer inhabitants. A small woollen manufactory employs about a dozen hands; and there are five mills for grinding corn. The church is a neat plain structure, with a lofty square embattled tower. There are two places of worship for Independents, two for Welsh Calvinistic Methodists, and one each for Baptists and Wesleyans.
For more information see Llandybie, Carmarthenshire at genuki.org.uk
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library. The first film number is 464311.
Maps and Gazetteers
- This page was last modified on 4 February 2015, at 18:29.
- This page has been accessed 797 times.
Future Changes to the Wiki
Changes are coming to the FamilySearch Research Wiki in the near future. Find out more on the Wiki Community News page.Community News