Llangedwyn, Powys GenealogyEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
"A parish in the Cynlleth and Mochnant divisions of the hundred of Chirk, county of Denbigh; 10 miles (W.S.W.) from Oswestry, on the road from Shrewsbury to Bala, containing 323 inhabitants. This parish was formerly a chapelry to Llanrhaeadr ym Mochnant, but was separated from that parish by Act of Parliament, and formed into a parish of itself. The village is pleasantly situated on the banks of the river Tanant; the neighbourhood abounds with pleasingly varied scenery; and in the environs are some good mansions, the residences of respectable families. ..... The church, dedicated to St. Cedwyn, is a small, neat edifice, surmounted by a cupola, containing one bell." [A Topographical Dictionary of Wales, 1833, Samuel Lewis]
Llangedwyn was originally a chapelry of Llanrhaeadr ym Mochnant, comprising the townships of Llangedwyn and Esgair Gwgan. In 1877, parts of the Llansilin townships of Sycharth and Priddbwll, were added to the Llangedwyn parish.
For more information on Llangedwyn see:
- Llangedwyn at Genuki
|before 31 March 1974||Denbighshire|
|1 April 1974 - 31 March 1996||Clwyd|
|from 1 April 1996||Powys|
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library. The first film number is 464319.
Poor Law Union Records
Maps and Gazetteers
- Llangedwyn at Vision of Britain
- Llangedwyn Parish Church at Clwyd FHS
- This page was last modified on 4 February 2015, at 18:33.
- This page has been accessed 820 times.
Future Changes to the Wiki
Changes are coming to the FamilySearch Research Wiki in the near future. Find out more on the Wiki Community News page.Community News