Llangollen, Denbighshire GenealogyEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Llangollen takes its name from St. Collen, a 7th century monk who founded a church besides the river here. St Collen is said to have arrived in Llangollen by coracle. It is thought that this St. Collen may also have connections in both St. Collen, in Cornwall and Langolen, in Brittany.
Standing high above the town to the north is Castell Dinas Brân, the former stronghold of the Princes of Powys.
The bridge across the River Dee in the centre of at Llangollen was built in about 1345 by John Trevor, of nearby Trevor Hall.
On the outskirts of the town is Plas Newydd, where The Honourable Sarah Ponsonby and Lady Eleanor Butler, the Ladies of Llangollen lived.
Llangollen was an important coaching stop for the mail coach on the old mail route along the A5 road from London to Holyhead.
The ancient parish of Llangollen was divided into three treanau ("trean" being the Welsh for "third"):
- Llangollen Traean contained the townships of Bachau, Cysylltau, Llangollen Abad, Llangollen Fawr, Llangollen Fechan, Feifod, Pengwern and Rhisgog.
- Trefor Traean contained the townships of Cilmediw, Dinbren, Eglwysegl, Trefor Isaf and Trefor Uchaf.
- Glyn Traean contained the townships of Cilcochwyn, Crogeniddon, Crogenwladus, Erwallo, Hafodgynfor, Nantygwryd, Pennant and Talygarth.
Llangollen was predominantly a farming and agricultural area. Most of the farms in the hills around the town would have been involved in sheep farming and weaving was an important cottage industry in the area for centuries. Several factories were later built along the banks of the River Dee where both wool and cotton were processed. Today Llangollen relies heavily on the tourist industry.
The Ellesmere Canal was intended to connect the coal mines and ironworks at Ruabon and Wrexham to the canal network and then to the sea via the River Mersey and the River Severn. A feeder branch to Llangollen) was constructed from the canal at Trevor to tap water from the River Dee at Llantysilio (at the weir called "Horseshoe Falls"). This canal eventually became part of the Shropshire Union System. The Llangollen Canal today is a major tourist attraction.
The railway had been extended from Ruabon, via Acrefair and Trevor, to reach Llangollen by 1865. Eventually the completed Ruabon-Barmouth line later became part of the Great Western Railway but, one hundred year later, the line was closed in 1964. However, part of the line was later restored and now operates as the Llangollen Railway, another important local tourist attraction.
The town of Llangollen is world-famous for its annual International Eisteddfod, held in July.
|pre 1536||Powys Fadog|
|1536 - 31 March 1974||Denbighshire|
|1 April 1974 - 31 March 1996||Clwyd|
|from 1 April 1996,||Denbighshire|
Births, marriages and deaths in Llangollen are recorded in the GRO indexes as:
|1 Jul 1837 - 20 Sep 1935||Llangollen||Corwen|| XXVII (1837-1851)|
|1 Oct 1935 - 1974||Llangollen||Wrexham|| 11b (1935-1946)|
- Births & Deaths: The births and deaths registers covering Llangollen are held at the Wrexham Register Office.
- Marriages: All the "civil" marriage registers covering the Llangollen area are held at Wrexham Register Office. However, church marriage registers and "authorised person" marriage registers are held at the Register Office of the post-1996 county in which the church or chapel was situated, generally the Denbighshire South Registry Office at Ruthin.
There are a few exceptions to these guidelines!
|It is advisable to check with the NorthWalesBMD to obtain the actual Registration Office and Reference Number, before ordering copies of certificates.|
The following Parish Registers have been deposited at the National Library of Wales in Aberystwyth:
|Baptisms||1623 - 1964|
|Marriages:||1587 - 1986|
|Burials||1597 - 1971|
- The Clwyd Family History Society have published many of the Llangollen parish registers.
- There are no official records available on the IGI for Llangollen parish.
Nonconformist Church Records
The following registers are available on the IGI:
|Glanyrafon Congregational, Llangollen||1811-1837||C101691|
|Penybryn with Glyndyfrdwy Baptist||1815-1861||C102531|
|Pontcysyllte Calvinistic Methodist||1825-1837||C101371|
|Rehoboth & Berllan Calvinistic Methodist||1805-1837||C101351|
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library. The first film number is 464319.
The parish of Llangollen formed part of the Corwen Registrar's District.
|1841||HO107/1400-12 folios 16 to 44|
|1851||HO107/2509 folios 387 to 590|
|1861|| RG9/4312 folios 20 to end|
RG9/4313 folio 40
some parts are missing
|1871|| RG10/5682 folios 54 to end|
RG10/5684 folio 8
|1881|| RG11/5540 folios 50 to end|
RG11/5541 folio 93
|1891|| RG12/4637 folios 42 to end|
RG12/4638 folio 118
Poor Law Union Records
The parish of Llangollen formed part of the Corwen Union, which was created on 13 December 1836. The workhouse was built at Corwen but not completed until April 1840. The records for the Corwen Union are held at the Meirionydd Record Office in Dolgellau.
Maps and Gazetteers
- Llangollen Parish Church at Clwyd FHS
- Llangollen Parish Church at CPAT
- Llangollen War Memorial at Clwyd FHS
- Llangollen International Eisteddfod
- Llangollen Railway
- Llangollen Museum
- BBC Wales Llangollen
- This page was last modified on 4 February 2015, at 18:30.
- This page has been accessed 2,982 times.
Future Changes to the Wiki
Changes are coming to the FamilySearch Research Wiki in the near future. Find out more on the Wiki Community News page.Community News