Llanvigan, Breconshire GenealogyEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
LLANVIGAN, or LLANVEUGAN (LLAN-FEIGAN), a parish, comprising the Upper and Lower divisions, in the hundred of Pencelly, union and county of Brecknock, South Wales, 4 miles (S. E. by S.) from Brecknock. This place derives its name from the dedication of its church to St. Veugan, or Meugan, who, according to the late Iolo Morganwg, was preceptor to the renowned Merlyn Emrys, and also distinguished himself as a poet. The village is pleasantly situated at a short distance from the river Usk, which forms the principal boundary of the parish on the north and east. The church, an ancient and well-built edifice, with a square tower of good proportions, is beautifully situated on the declivity of a lofty ridge, at some distance from the south bank of the river Usk, and commanding an extensive view down the Vale of Usk, and of the Black Mountains. There are two places of worship in the parish for Independents, and one for Calvinistic Methodists; in each of which a Sunday school is also held.
Census records from 1841-1891 are available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library. To view these census images online, they are available through a number of websites for a fee ($) or free.
- FamilySearch now has all of the British Censuses available.
- findmypast ($) but free at Family History Centers and the Family History Library and various other libraries.
- Ancestry.co.uk ($) but free at Family History Centers and the Family History Library and various other libraries. The library versions are known as AncestryInstitution.com.
- The Genealogist.co.uk ($) but free at Family History Centers and the Family History Library and various other libraries.
- FreeCen is a UK census searches. It is not complete and individuals are always asked to consider helping out with transcriptions.
Maps and Gazetteers
- This page was last modified on 4 February 2015, at 18:27.
- This page has been accessed 337 times.
New to the Research Wiki?
In the FamilySearch Research Wiki, you can learn how to do genealogical research or share your knowledge with others.Learn More