Llanvrynach, Breconshire GenealogyEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
LLANVRYNACH (LLAN-FRYNACH), a parish, in the hundred of Pencelly, union and county of Brecknock, South Wales, 3 miles (S. E.) from Brecknock. This parish derives its name from the dedication of its church to Brynach, a celebrated Irish saint, who accompanied Brychan Brycheiniog into Britain, in the fifth century, and presided over some of the monastic institutions founded by that prince. The Brecknock and Abergavenny canal passes through the parish, and is carried over the Usk, near the bridge, by a handsome stone aqueduct of four arches. The church, dedicated to St. Brynach is a very ancient structure, with a massive square tower at the west end. There are two Sunday schools, one of them in connexion with the Established Church, and the other held by the Baptists in their place of worship here.
Also spelled Llanfrynach. LLANVRYNACH, a parish in the hundred of Penkelly, county Brecon, 3 miles S.E. of Brecknock, its post town. It is situated on the banks of the river Usk and the Brecon canal. The Roman Via Julia Montana passes near this place. For more information see Llanfrynach, Breconshire at Genuki.org.uk
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library. The first film number is 464300.
Maps and Gazetteers
- This page was last modified on 4 February 2015, at 18:27.
- This page has been accessed 424 times.
Future Changes to the Wiki
Changes are coming to the FamilySearch Research Wiki in the near future. Find out more on the Wiki Community News page.Community News