Los Altos California Family History CenterEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
|This article describes the services and resources available at a Family History Center, a branch facility of the Family History Library.|
The Los Altos Family History Center serves the communities of Los Altos, Los Altos Hills, Mountain View, and parts of Sunnyvale and Palo Alto. The Center maintains several computers and film readers, and can have a ScanPro 2000 film digitizer unit available upon request. Our book collection contains many records from New England States.
Center Contacts and Hours
- 1300 Grant Road, Los Altos,CA 94024 United States(Corner of Grant Rd and Portland Ave.)
- To make an appointment for other times, please contact the director in advance at (1-650-968-1019.)
Closed for: Thanksgiving Day: Christmas: New Year's Eve: New Year's Day: Easter Sunday:
Calendar and Events
Staff Training Meetings
- Staff training sessions occur every second Sunday from 4:30PM to 5:30PM in the meeting room across from the center.
Our catalog has being migrated to its new home at familysearch.org>Search>Catalog
Under “Search these Family History Centers” select Los Altos California Family History Center
The new catalog will allow patrons to:
- Search by Places, Surnames, Titles, Authors, Subjects or Keywords
- Broaden a search to other local Family History Centers, the Oakland FamilySearch Library or to the holdings of the Family History Library in Salt Lake City
- Have a direct link to the growing collection of online resources at FamilySearch.org and elsewhere
Note - Micofilm and fiche found in the FamilySearch Catalog (and not already in the Los Altos Family History Center) may be ordered online at Link and designated to be delivered to the Los Altos Family History Center. Once delivered they may be viewed on the equipment at the center free of charge during normal open hours..
Databases and Software
- FHC Portal This center has access to the Family History Center Portal page which gives free access in the center to premium family history software and websites that generally charge for subscriptions, including Ancestry.com.
Hardware and Equipment
- Three computers
- Three film readers
- One microfiche reader
Staff Research Specialties
The staff has advanced training in English research and New England research
Resources in the Local Area
The Silicon Valley Computer Genealogy Group meets every second Saturday (except Dec) at the same location as the Santa Clara Family History Center and offers a variety of classes and computer training sessions for all levels of research and skills.
The Santa Clara City Library on Homestead Rd. maintains a large collection of genealogical materials on the second floor.
(Include links to other websites of interest to those who visit your center such as links to the city, county and state wiki pages where your center is located.)
Volunteer at the Center
(Include information here about the volunteers you are looking for.)
- This page was last modified on 20 March 2015, at 21:32.
- This page has been accessed 2,013 times.
Future Changes to the Wiki
Changes are coming to the FamilySearch Research Wiki in the near future. Find out more on the Wiki Community News page.Community News