Lowell, VermontEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
The town originally belonged to Chittenden County. It was granted March 5, 1787, and chartered on February 7, 1791 by Gov. Thosmas Chittenden, to John Kelley, Esq., of New York, from whom it received its original name-Kelleyvale. The town name was altered to Lowell on Nov. 1, 1831.
During the first half of the nineteenth century, the population inflow was predominantly from other states of the US. In the second half the new arrivals were more often foreign-born - from Ireland and from French-speaking Canada. By 1870 the population was 944 and it reached its peak in 1890 when it stood at 1,178. The population at the 2010 US Census was 879.    
FamilySearch Historical Records Collection has Vermont birth, death, and marriage records online.
Orleans Probate Division
247 Main Street
Newport, VT · 05855
Phone: (802) 334-3305
The following is a list of major cemeteries in present-day Lowell. For location of all cemeteries, see Cemeteries of Vermont, Orleans County, website at this link.
- Mountain View Cemetery - inscriptions at Find A Grave site.
- Old Catholic Cemetery - inscriptions at Find A Grave site.
- Saint Ignatius Cemetery - inscriptions at Find A Grave site.
Town Clerk Vital and Town Records, 1805 -1865, can be found on FamilySearch (browse only images).
The Family History Library has microfilm of original records from the Lowell Town Clerk's Office. These include Vital records of Lowell, Vermont, 1857-Sept. 2000, and Land records (Lowell, Vermont), 1812-1903.
Lowell Town Clerk
2170 VT Route 100
Lowell, VT 05847
Phone: (802) 744-6559
Libraries and Historical Societies
Lowell Community Library
Vermont Route 100
PO Box 189
Lowell, VT 05847
Phone: (802) 744-2447
Northeast Kingdom Genealogy - Genealogy resources for towns in the counties of Essex, Orleans and Caledonia.
- ↑ History of Lowell - http://oldstonehousemuseum.org/lowell/
- ↑ About Lowell, Vermont - http://www.virtualvermont.com/towns/lowell.html#about
- ↑ Lowell, Vermont - http://www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~vermont/OrleansLowell.html
- ↑ Lowell, Vermont - Wikipedia - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lowell,_Vermont
- This page was last modified on 6 February 2015, at 03:39.
- This page has been accessed 486 times.
Future Changes to the Wiki
Changes are coming to the FamilySearch Research Wiki in the near future. Find out more on the Wiki Community News page.Community News