Lower Austria GenealogyEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Guide to Lower Austria, Austria ancestry, family history, and genealogy: birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, parish registers, and military records.
Lower Austria (in German, Niederösterreich) is a federal province or state of the Rupublic of Austria. It is the most northeastern and second most populous state of Austria with its state capital at St Pölten (since 1986; previously, Vienna).
Lower Austria is divided four regions, known as Viertel (quarters):
- Weinviertel (lit. wine quarter) the lowlands below the Manhartsberg ridge;
- Waldviertel (lit. forest quarter) the Bohemian plateau above the Manhartsberg ridge;
- Mostviertel (lit. must quarter) which lies above the Vienna Woods; and
- Industrieviertel (lit. industrial quarter) which lies below the Vienna Woods.
- Lower Austria Government Portal (in German) with some topics in English.
- LowerAustriaGenWeb a collection of links to various Lower Austrian family history related sites. Includes a list of Catholic Parishes with links to the official websites.
- Southern Waldviertel Family History Project
Notes and References
- This page was last modified on 26 February 2015, at 15:13.
- This page has been accessed 936 times.
New to the Research Wiki?
In the FamilySearch Research Wiki, you can learn how to do genealogical research or share your knowledge with others.Learn More