Lutheran Church in the United StatesEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
History in the United States
Many Lutherans came to Pennsylvania in the 1700s, brought by immigrants from Germany and Scandinavia. Swedish Lutherans especially liked the upper Midwest states.
Lutheran Church Records
Types of Church Records
- Baptisms (infant)
- Communicants / Member lists
- Register of families
Where they are Located
Concordia Historical Institute
The Lutheran Church—Missouri Synod
801 De Mun Avenue
St. Louis, MO 63105
Evangelical Lutheran Church of America (ELCA Archives)
8765 West Higgins Road
Chicago, IL 60631-4198
German-Russian Lutheran Ancestry
Odessa3.org - This site contains German-Russian emigrant ancestry in pocket settlements in mid-west states of North Dakota, South Dakota and Nebraska . Contains transcribed minutes of meetings, membership lists (some with parentage listed), birth, deaths, and marriages.]
Cyndi's List - Lutheran
If a local church is still active, they can help you find their records. The records of disbanded U.S. churches are at the ELCA Archives in Chicago. The archives has records of many congregations; those on microfilm can be borrowed for a small fee. Partial lists of church records in its collection are:
- American Lutheran Church (ALC) Archives. ALC Congregations on Microfilm. Dubuque, Iowa: The Archives, [197-?]. (Family History Library fiche 6330690-93.) Arranged by state and city of congregation. The ALC Archives are now part of the ELCA Archives.
- American Lutheran Church Shelf List Index to Their Church Records Microfilmed as of 1987. N.p., 1988. (Family History Library book 973 K2aL.)
- A guide to most Lutheran churches and addresses is:
- Lutheran Church Directory for the United States 1982. New York, New York: Lutheran Council in the USA, 1981. (Family History Library book 973 K24L.)
- This page was last modified on 28 March 2014, at 20:00.
- This page has been accessed 2,470 times.
Share Your Opinion!
Give feedback on our new look! Tell us what you like, and what you would do differently.Give Feedback