Lyme Regis, Dorset GenealogyEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Guide to Lyme Regis, Dorset ancestry, family history, and genealogy: parish registers, transcripts, census records, birth records, marriage records, and death records.
|Lyme Regis, Dorset|
|Hundred||Lyme Regis Borough|
|Poor Law Union||Axminster PLU|
|Parish registers: 1543|
|Bishop's Transcripts: 1579|
|Probate Court||Court of the Peculiar of the Prebend of Lyme Regis and Halstock|
|Location of Archive|
|Dorset Record Office|
Lyme Regis, mun. bor., seaport, and parish, Dorset, 5½ miles SE. of Axminster and 23 miles W. of Dorchester - parish.
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
Lyme Regis, Dorset Genealogy parish registers of christenings, marriages and burials are available online for the following years:
|FREG = FreeREG - free|
|Lyme Regis, Dorset Genealogy Online Parish Records|
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library. The first film number is 241343.
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Dorset Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Maps and Gazetteers
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
- ↑ John M. Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales, publ. London and Edinburgh: 1870. Date accessed: 08 July 2013.
- ↑ Dorset, England, Baptisms, Marriages, and Burials, 1538-1812, courtesy: Ancestry (£). Partially indexed.
- ↑ Dorset, England, Births and Baptisms, 1813-1906, courtesy: Ancestry (£). Partially indexed.
- ↑ Dorset, England, Marriages and Banns, 1813-1921, courtesy: Ancestry (£). Partially indexed.
- ↑ Dorset, England, Deaths and Burials, 1813-2001, courtesy: Ancestry (£). Partially indexed.
- ↑ 'Dorset Baptism Index,' Find My Past, accessed 24 June 2012.
- ↑ 'Parish Records - National Burial Index Records 1538 - 2005 Coverage,' Find My Past, accessed 11 April 2012. For a breakdown of missing years, see 'National Burial Index - Coverage: Dorset,' Federation of Family History Societies, accessed 24 June 2012.
- ↑ 'Search Marriage Records in Dorset,' The Joiner Marriage Index, accessed 24 June 2012.
- ↑ 'Dorset Burial Index,' Find My Past, accessed 24 June 2012.
- ↑ "Boyd's Marriage Index - Parish details by county," Origins.net, accessed 24 June 2012.
- ↑ Parish Records Transcripts, The Genealogist, accessed 24 June 2012.
- ↑ Dorset Coverage in FreeReg, FreeREG, accessed 24 June 2012.
- ↑ 'Dorset Parish registers collection 1538 on Familyrelatives.com', FamilyRelatives.com, accessed 24 June 2012.
- ↑ 'Dorset Marriages,' Find My Past, accessed 24 June 2012.
- ↑ Pallot's Marriage and Birth Indexes, Guide to Parishes (n.p.: n.p., n.d.). FHL British Book 942 V25pm
- ↑ 'Dorset Coverage', FreeREG, accessed 10 January 2014.
- This page was last modified on 23 March 2015, at 15:08.
- This page has been accessed 1,424 times.
New to the Research Wiki?
In the FamilySearch Research Wiki, you can learn how to do genealogical research or share your knowledge with others.Learn More