Mackay, Custer County, Idaho GenealogyEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Mackay is located in South-Central Idaho, in Custer County.
Mackay City Hall
P.O. Box 509
Mackay, ID 83251
Phone: (208) 588-2274
Fax: (208) 588-2274
Barton Cemetery - Transcription of 46 gravestones available through Find-a-Grave.com website; transcription of 30 gravestones available through Interment.net website; transcription of gravestones at USGenWeb. USGenWeb is an organization of volunteers providing genealogical and historical information free of charge. Many of their county pages include transcriptions of cemetery headstones site for Custer County.
Battleground Cemetery (Historical Marker) - Some records of this cemetery at the Idaho State Archives in Boise; transcription of 16 gravestones available through Find-a-Grave.com website; transcription of 15 gravestones available through Interment.net website; transcription of gravestones at USGenWeb site for Custer County.
Houston Cemetery - (near Mackay) - Some records of this cemetery at the Idaho State Archives in Boise; transcription of 80 gravestones available through Find-a-Grave.com website; transcription of 76 gravestones available through Interment.net website; transcription of gravestones at USGenWeb site for Custer County.
Mt McCaleb Cemetery - (west of Mackay) - Some records of this cemetery at the Idaho State Archives in Boise; transcription of 1,473 gravestones available through Find-a-Grave.com website.
Church History and Records
Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints
The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints
531 W Spruce
MacKay, ID 83251
Many of the original records of church units are in the Church History Library in Salt Lake City. Many of the membership records covering these units from the date of their creation to about 1948 have been microfilmed and are available at the Family History Library in Salt Lake City or at its Family History Centers. Records of the Mackay Ward (1921-1948) are in this collection.
Mackay Community Church
206 Park Ave. P.O. Box 87
Mackay, ID 83251
The Idaho State Archives as a collection of city, county, state and regional directories.
In the late 1800 settlers came to the Lost River Valley. The White Knob Mining Company, enter in 1901, to mine copper. Wayne Darlington, a engineer and superintendent of mining activity for White Knob Mining Co. was given the responsibility of planning and platting the town. Darlington had permission to plan any kind of town he wished. Showing loyalty to his boss, John Mackay, Darlington named the town Mackay. In August of 1901, the town was dedicated and, after gaining the signature of 250 residents petitioning for incorporation, county authorities appointed a governing body. On October 14, 1901, the community was incorporated and Mackay officially became a town. By 1904, Mackay boasted a brick schoolhouse, two major hotels one bank, an opera house, two churches, number of lodging houses, and dozens of company-owned homes. The total population of the MacKay Precinct was 1,482 in 1930.
Military History and Records
Naturalization and Citizenship
Copies of issues of the following Mackay newspapers are in the collections of the Idaho State Archives in Boise:
Mackay miner 1906:2:16-1975:12:18
Mackay telegraph 1901:10-1905:7
Mackay telegraph 1903:7:7-1903:7:11
Link to the home page for McKay, Idaho
- This page was last modified on 6 February 2015, at 03:08.
- This page has been accessed 1,836 times.
New to the Research Wiki?
In the FamilySearch Research Wiki, you can learn how to do genealogical research or share your knowledge with others.Learn More