Madison County, Iowa GenealogyEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Guide to Madison County, Iowa ancestry, family history, and genealogy birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
|Madison County, Iowa|
Location in the state of Iowa
Location of Iowa in the U.S.
|Founded||January 13, 1846|
Madison County, Iowa Record Dates
112 N John Wayne Dr. Winterset, Iowa 50273
1846--Madison County was created 13 January 1846 from unorganized territory. It was attached to Mahaska County prior to organization 19 February 1849. County seat: Winterset 
For an early history of the county go to the following link:
For animated maps illustrating Iowa County boundary changes, "Rotating Formation Iowa County Boundary Maps" (1816-1872) may be viewed for free at the MapofUS.org website.
1875 -- Courthouse burned and many records were damaged. For a list of record loss in Iowa Counties see: Iowa Counties with Burned Courthouses
For further information on researching in burned counties, see the following:
- Burned Counties Research in FamilySearch Wiki
- Michael John Neill, Burned Counties in Family History Circle
Town/city records in the FamilySearch Catalog
Most church records are held by individual churches. For contact information, check a phone directory, such as SearchBug or Dex Knows. Some denominations are gathering their records into a central repository. For more information about these major repositories, see Iowa Church Records.
Land and property records can place an ancestor in a particular location, provide economic information, and reveal family relationships. Land records include: deeds, abstracts and indexes, mortgages, leases, grants and land patents.
See Iowa Land and Property for additional information about early Iowa land grants. After land was transferred to private ownership, subsequent transactions were usually recorded at the county courthouse, where records are currently housed.
Local histories are available for Madison County, Iowa Genealogy. County histories may include biographies, church, school and government history, and military information. For more information about local histories, see the wiki page section Iowa Local Histories.
- History of Madison County, Iowa, and its people. By Herman A. Mueller. Chicago, Illinois : S. J. Clarke Pub. Co., 1915. Vol 1 Online at: FamilySearch Books Online, , Internet Archive; At various libraries (WorldCat). Vol. 2 Online at: FamilySearch Books Online, HathiTrust, Internet Archive.
- Old Antique Atlases & Maps of Iowa
- Township Map of 1875 Madison County, Iowa with enlarged views of each township (My Genealogy Hound)
Regiments. Service men in Madison County, Iowa Genealogy served in various regiments. Men often joined a company (within a regiment) that originated in their county. Listed below are companies that were specifically formed in Madison County, Iowa Genealogy:
- - 4th Regiment, Iowa Infantry, Company F
- - 10th Regiment, Iowa Infantry, Company K
- - 23rd Regiment, Iowa Infantry, Company H
- - 47th Regiment, Iowa Infantry (100 days, 1864), Company E
- - 10th Regiment, Iowa Infantry, Company K
:- 1st Regiment, Iowa Cavalry, Company D
:- 23rd Regiment, Iowa Infantry, Company H
:- 47th Regiment, Iowa Infantry (100 days, 1864), Company E
:- 4th Regiment, Iowa Infantry, Company F
- Altoona Public Library Archives, Polk County (1876-2000)
- Johnston Historical Society Archive, Polk County (1970-2007)
- NewspaperArchive.com ($) has historical newspapers online including Des Moines newspapers. This database is free at some libraries.
- Winterset Madisonian.1956. Winterset, IA, USA. Online at: Ancestry.com ($)
Online Probate Records
In most counties in Iowa, probate records have been kept by the county judge. They include wills, fee books, claim registers, legacy records, inheritance records, probate ticklers, and dockets. The records are available at the county courthouse.
The FamilySearch Catalog lists films of probate records. To find the records for this county, use the Place Search for Iowa - Madison - Probate records.
iagenweb.org/madison/probate_records/probate_index.html (U.S. GenWeb)
Iowa tax records complement land records and can be used to supplement the years between censuses. Tax lists were usually made every year, however, there may be gaps of several years. For more information, see the wiki page Iowa Taxation.
Vital Records consist of births, adoptions, marriages, divorces, and deaths recorded on registers, certificates, and documents. A copy or an extract of most original records can be purchased from the Iowa Department of Public Health or the County Clerk's office of the county where the event occurred. See also How to order Iowa Vital Records or order electronically online.
-  (Information on birth records, U.S. GenWeb)
- iagenweb.org/madison/birth_records/birth_rec_idx.html (Birth Index, U.S. GenWeb)
- 1838-1934 Iowa, County Marriages, 1838-1934 at FamilySearch — index and images
- iagenweb.org/madison/birth_records/birth_rec_idx.html (Marriage Index, U.S. GenWeb)
- iagenweb.org/madison/death_records/death_rec_index.html (Death Index, U.S. GenWeb)
Societies and Libraries
Madison County Genealogical Society
P.O. Box 26
Winterset IA 50273-0026
Madison County Historical Society
815 South Second Ave
Winterset, IA 50273
Family History Centers
Family History Centers provide one-on-one assistance and free access to premium genealogical websites. In addition, many centers have free how-to genealogy classes. See Family History Center for more information. Search the online FHC directory for a nearby family history center.
- Knoxville Iowa Family History Center 1800 W Jackson, Knoxville IA 50138
| Check back often with these websites. Internet offerings are growing at record rates.
Local societies and libraries may know of other websites.
|State Historical Society of Iowa||Free||list and links to data and "hard copy" material - results of "madison county" placed in search box|
|The Iowa Heritage Digital Collection||Free||digital images from a variety of Iowa cultural institutions - results of "madison county" in the search box|
|State Library of Iowa||Free||electronic depository of documents intended for the general public produced by Iowa agencies - results of "madison county" in the search box|
|IAGenWeb||Free||Data may be submitted by individuals or complete transcriptions|
|USGenWeb Archives||Free||Data may be submitted by individuals or may be complete transcriptions|
|genealogytrails.com||Free||Data may be submitted by individuals or complete transcriptions|
|  FamilySearch||Free||Births, 1880-1935; Deaths 1880-1992; Marriages, 1838-1934; all indexes|
|RootsWeb Resources||Free||Data may be submitted by individuals or may be complete transcriptions|
|Linkpendium||Free||Click links. Some sites they link to may have fees ($)|
|CyndisList||Free||Click links. Some sites they link to may have fees ($)|
|Iowa-genealogy.com||Free||Click links. Some sites they link to may have fees ($)|
|StateofUS.com||Free||family history resources and government records|
Books, microfilm, or manuscripts of genealogical records
|FamilySearch Catalog||Select topics. To select towns, add a comma to the search box.|
|WorldCat||To find nearby libraries that have specific items, see WorldCat Online Catalog.|
|Allen County Public Library||located in Indiana They are heavily involved in digitizing.|
|GeneaBloggers||enter "Iowa" in search box to see list and links to Iowa blogs|
|Google+||list of groups from "iowa genealogy" search|
|list of groups from "Iowa Genealogy" search|
|genealogy.com||Madison County, IA Genealogy Forum|
|ancestry.com||Madison County Message Board|
- ↑ Alice Eichholz, Ancestry’s Red Book: American State, County and Town Sources, Revised ed. (Salt Lake City: Ancestry, 1992), 225-231. At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27rb 1992
- ↑ The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- This page was last modified on 24 October 2015, at 03:46.
- This page has been accessed 7,134 times.
Future Changes to the Wiki
Changes are coming to the FamilySearch Research Wiki in the near future. Find out more on the Wiki Community News page.Community News