Madison Wisconsin Family History CenterEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
|This article describes the services and resources available at a Family History Center, a branch facility of the Family History Library.|
Our Family History Center has been operating for more than 25 years. We have a cooperative relationship with the Dane County Area Genealogy Society which uses our building for monthly meetings.
Center Location, Hours, and Contact
- 4505 Regent St Madison WI 53705 United States
We are in the church, just inside the Southwest entrance off the parking lot.
First (normally)Thursday evening 6-9pm January 8 (since NY's is on Thursday.
Second Saturday morning 9am-12pm January 17(due to NY's)
Third Tuesday morning 9am-12pm January 20
Fourth Tuesday morning 9am-12pm January 27
First Thursday evening 6-9pm February 5
Second Saturday morning 9am-12pm February 14
Third Tuesday morning 9am-12pm February 17
Fourth Tuesday morning 9am-12pm February 24
If these hours do not work for you, it is possible to make an appointment with Judy McDonald for Thursday mornings. To insure staff availabiilty, please make appointments 1 week prior to the date needed.
- Closed November 27th-December 1st:
- December 23rd-January 5th:
Calendar and Events
Dane County Area Genealogy Society meeting:
1st Thursday of every month: 7pm in the chapel
Regent Street building (same as the FHC)
Wiki Training class
Staff Training Meetings
- FamilySearch Catalog: This center has the ability to order any of the films and fiche available through the FamilySearch Catalog.
- Large collection of microfiche
- Large collection of German films
- (List additional collections you have such as the types of books and microfilm you have on indefinite loan; though you will not want to list every single item you have. Just give visitors to this page a general idea of your resources.)
Databases and Software
- FHC Portal This center has access to the Family History Center Portal page which gives free access in the center to premium family history software and websites that generally charge for subscriptions. Hardware and Equipment
Hardware and Equipment
- 8 microfilm readers, 2 upright oriented machines
- 1 microfilm/microfiche reader with electric wind/rewind (upright)
- 1 Minolta reader/printer, (upright) not digitized
- 4 computers w/individualized printers
- large table for spreading out work and comfy chairs
- Library of donated family histories, books about genealogy of different locations, maps of other countries, dictionaries in other languages to help with translation of films, World locations research outlines
Staff Research Specialties
Resources in the Local Area
WI State Historical Society
Vesterheim Genealogical Center and Naeseth Library- Norwegian/Americal heritage (This section is to highlight other resources in your area that will be helpful for individuals doing research there in your location, if there are any, such as government offices, historical societies, etc.)
Volunteer at the Center
If you're interested in volunteering, please call our center and ask to speak to Judy McDonald.
- This page was last modified on 5 February 2015, at 17:03.
- This page has been accessed 2,397 times.
New to the Research Wiki?
In the FamilySearch Research Wiki, you can learn how to do genealogical research or share your knowledge with others.Learn More