Madison Wisconsin Family History CenterEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
|This article describes the services and resources available at a Family History Center, a branch facility of the Family History Library.|
Our Family History Center has been operating for more than 30 years. We have a cooperative relationship with the Dane County Area Genealogy Society which uses our building for monthly meetings.
Center Location, Hours, and Contact
- 4505 Regent St Madison WI 53705 United States
We are in the church, just inside the Southwest entrance off the parking lot.
Usual 1st Thursday evening 6p-9pm
2nd Saturday morning 9am-12pm
3rd Tuesday morning 9am-12pm
4th Tuesday morning 9am-12pm
other appointments made by patrons, others welcome.
First Thursday evening 6-9pm April 2
New appointment Saturday 10-12pm April 7
Second Saturday morning 9am-12pm April 11
New appointment Saturday 9am-12pm April 18
Third Tuesday morning 9am-12pm April 21
Fourth Tuesday morning 9am-12pm April 28
++If these hours do not work for you, it is possible to make an appointment with Judy McDonald. To insure staff availabiilty, please make appointments 1-2 weeks prior to date needed. Judy's phone (608) 358-4932
Calendar and Events
Dane County Area Genealogy Society meeting:
1st Thursday of every month: 7pm in the chapel
Regent Street building (same as the FHC)
Staff Training Meetings
- FamilySearch Catalog: This center has the ability to order any of the films and fiche available through the FamilySearch Catalog.
- Large collection of microfiche
- Large collection of German films
- (List additional collections you have such as the types of books and microfilm you have on indefinite loan; though you will not want to list every single item you have. Just give visitors to this page a general idea of your resources.)
Databases and Software
- FHC Portal This center has access to the Family History Center Portal page which gives free access in the center to premium family history software and websites that generally charge for subscriptions. Hardware and Equipment
Hardware and Equipment
- 8 microfilm readers, 2 upright oriented machines
- 1 microfilm/microfiche reader with electric wind/rewind (upright)
- 1 Minolta reader/printer, (upright) not digitized
- 4 computers w/shared printer
- large table for spreading out work and comfy chairs
- Library of donated family histories, books about genealogy of different locations, maps of other countries, dictionaries in other languages to help with translation of films, World locations research outlines
Staff Research Specialties
Resources in the Local Area
WI State Historical Society
Vesterheim Genealogical Center and Naeseth Library- Norwegian/Americal heritage (This section is to highlight other resources in your area that will be helpful for individuals doing research there in your location, if there are any, such as government offices, historical societies, etc.)
Volunteer at the Center
If you're interested in volunteering, please call our center and ask to speak to Judy McDonald.
- This page was last modified on 15 April 2015, at 21:31.
- This page has been accessed 2,669 times.
New to the Research Wiki?
In the FamilySearch Research Wiki, you can learn how to do genealogical research or share your knowledge with others.Learn More