Massachusetts, Federal Census Mortality Schedule, 1880 (FamilySearch Historical Records)Edit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
|This article describes a collection of historical records available at FamilySearch.org.|
Access the records: Massachusetts, Federal Census Mortality Schedule, 1880 .
The collection consists of an index and images to "Federal Census Schedule 5, Persons who died during the year ending May 31, 1880."
|You can browse through images in this collection by visiting the browse page for Massachusetts, Federal Census Mortality Schedule, 1880.|
The records usually list:
- Name of the deceased
- Marital status
- Birth place
- Birth places of parents
- Month in which person died
- Cause of death
- Length of residence within the county
- Place where person became ill
- Name of attending physician
How to Use the Record
To begin your search it is helpful to know
- Name of the deceased
- Place of residence
Search the Collection
To search the collection:
⇒Select "Browse through images" on the initial collection page
⇒Select the appropriate "County" which takes you to the images.
Look at each image comparing the information with what you already know about your ancestors to determine if the image relates to them. You may need to look at several images and compare the information about the individuals listed in those images to your ancestors to make this determination. Keep in mind:
- There may be more than one person in the records with the same name.
- You may not be sure of your own ancestor’s name.
- Your ancestor may have used different names or variations of their name throughout their life.
Using the Information
When you have located your ancestor’s record, carefully evaluate each piece of information given. Save a copy of the image or transcribe the information. These pieces of information may give you new biographical details. Add this new information to your records of each family. You should also look for leads to other records about your ancestors. For example:
- Use the age to calculate an approximate death date.
- Use the name and residence to search other other records such as census, church and land records.
- Use the name and month of death to search court records for a will or probate.
- Occupations listed may lead you to other types of records such as employment or school records
Unable to Find Your Ancestor?
- This census only lists individuals who died within the year ending May 31, 1880 so if your ancestor died after June 1st, they would not be in this census schedule. Search the 1880 Population Schedule.
- Look for variant spellings of the names. You should also look for nicknames and abbreviated names.
- Look for another index. Local genealogical and historical societies often have indexes to local records.
- Search the indexes and records of nearby counties.
|Don't overlook FHL Keyword Massachusetts, Census Records items in the FamilySearch Library Catalog. For other libraries (local and national) or to gain access to items of interest, see the wiki article Massachusetts Archives and Libraries. For additional information about this state see the wiki article Massachusetts.|
Related Wiki Articles
How You Can Contribute
| We welcome user additions to FamilySearch Historical Records wiki articles. We are looking for additional information that will help readers understand the topic and better use the available records. We also need translations for collection titles and images in articles about records written in languages other than English. For specific needs, please visit WikiProject FamilySearch Records. |
Please follow these guidelines as you make changes. Thank you for any contributions you may provide.
Citations for this Collection
When you copy information from a record, you should list where you found the information; that is, cite your sources. This will help people find the record again and evaluate the reliability of the source. It is also good to keep track of records where you did not find information, including the names of the people you looked for in the records. Citations are available for the collection as a whole and each record or image individually.
- “Massachusetts, Federal Census Mortality Schedule, 1880.” Index and Images. FamilySearch. http://FamilySearch.org : accessed 2015. Citing NARA microfilm publication T1204. Washington, D.C.: National Archives and Records Administration, n.d.
|The citation for an image is available on each image in this collection by clicking Show Citation at the bottom left of the image screen. You can browse through images in this collection by visiting the browse page for Massachusetts, Federal Census Mortality Schedule, 1880.|
- This page was last modified on 10 June 2015, at 08:29.
- This page has been accessed 604 times.
Future Changes to the Wiki
Changes are coming to the FamilySearch Research Wiki in the near future. Find out more on the Wiki Community News page.Community News