McLain's Independent Battery, Colorado Light Artillery (Union)Edit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
McLain's Independent Battery, Colorado Light Artillery was organized at Denver, Colorado, December 15, 1862. It was ordered to Fort Scott and Fort Gibson, and had duty in the District of North Kansas until August. The battery mustered out August 31, 1865.
For more information on the history of this unit, see:
- The Civil War Archive section, McLane's Independent Battery Light Artillery, (accessed 28 November 2012).
- The Wikipedia Article, McLain's Independent Battery Colorado Light Artillery, (accessed 28 November 2012).
Companies in this Regiment with the Counties of Origin
Men often enlisted in a company recruited in the counties where they lived though not always. After many battles, companies might be combined because so many men were killed or wounded. However if you are unsure which company your ancestor was in, try the company recruited in his county first.
- Beginning United States Civil War Research gives steps for finding information about a Civil War soldier. It covers the major records that should be used. Additional records are described in ‘Colorado in the Civil War’ and ‘United States Civil War, 1861 to 1865’ (see below).
- National Park Service, The Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System, is searchable by soldier's name and state. It contains basic facts about soldiers on both sides of the Civil War, a list of regiments, descriptions of significant battles, sources of the information, and suggestions for where to find additional information.
- Colorado in the Civil War describes many Union sources, specifically for Colorado, and how to find them. These include compiled service records, pension records, rosters, cemetery records, Internet databases, published books, etc.
- United States Civil War, 1861 to 1865 describes and explains United States and Confederate States records, rather than state records, and how to find them. These include veterans’ censuses, compiled service records, pension records, rosters, cemetery records, Internet databases, published books, etc.
- This page was last modified on 28 November 2012, at 22:49.
- This page has been accessed 363 times.
Share Your Opinion!
Give feedback on our new look! Tell us what you like, and what you would do differently.Give Feedback