Mexico, Chihuahua, Catholic Church Records (FamilySearch Historical Records)Edit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
|This article describes a collection of historical records available at FamilySearch.org.|
Access the records: Mexico, Chihuahua, Catholic Church Records, 1632-1958 .
Foreign Language Title
Registros Parroquiales de la Iglesia Católica en el Estado de Chihuahua, México.
This collection of Catholic Church parish records in Chihuahua, Mexico, covers the years from 1622 to 1958. The text of the records is in Spanish.
|You can browse through images in this collection by visiting the browse page for Mexico, Chihuahua, Catholic Church Records, 1632-1958.|
Baptism records may contain the following information:
- Place and date of the baptism
- Given name
- Gender, place and date of birth or age at baptism
- If legitimate or illegitimate
- Parents names, sometimes their residence and/or place of birth
- Names of maternal grandparents
- Names of paternal grandparents
- Names of godparents
Confirmation records may contain the following information:
- Date and place of confirmation
- Name of person being confirmed
- Parents’ or godparents’ names
Marriage records may contain the following information:
- Place and date of the marriage
- Name of the groom
- Age of groom, his place of birth and/or residence
- Name of the groom’s parents
- Name of the bride
- Age of bride, her place of birth and/or residence
- Names of the bride’s parents
- Sometimes, the parent’s place of origin and/or civil status
- Names of witnesses
Death or burial records may contain the following information:
- Place and date of the burial
- Burial place
- Name of the principal
- Place and date of birth or age at time of death
- Cause of death
- Residence of the deceased
- Place of death
- Civil status of the principal, if married the name of the spouse may be given
- If principal left progeny
How to Use the Record
Search the Collection
To browse the collection by image:
⇒ Select the "Browse" link in the initial search page
⇒ Select the "City or Town" category
⇒ Select the "Parish" category
⇒ Select the "Record Type and Years" category which takes you to the images.
Search the collection by image comparing the information with what you already know about your ancestors to determine which one is your ancestor. You may need to compare the information about more than one person to make this determination.
For Help Reading These Records
These records are in Spanish. For help reading the records, see the following resources:
- Mexico Language and Languages
- Spanish Genealogical Word List
- BYU Spanish Script Tutorial
- FamilySearch Learning Center videos:
|FHL Place Mexico, Chihuahua items or FHL Keyword Mexico, Chihuahua items in the FamilySearch Library Catalog. For other libraries (local and national) or to gain access to items of interest, see Mexico Archives and Libraries.|
Unable to find your ancestor? Try looking through records in the surrounding localities. Sinaloa is on the southwestern border, Sonora on the western, New Mexico on the north, Texas on the northeastern, Coahuila on the eastern, and Durango on the south.
Known Issues with This Collection
For a full list of all known issues associated with this collection see the attached Wiki article. If you encounter additional problems, please email them to email@example.com. Please include the full path to the link and a description of the problem in your e-mail. Your assistance will help ensure that future reworks will be considered.
Related Wiki Articles
Contributions to This Article
|We welcome user additions to FamilySearch Historical Records wiki articles. We are looking for additional information that will help readers understand the topic and better use the available records. We especially need language translations for both content and images. For specific needs, please look for callout boxes throughout the article or visit WikiProject FamilySearch Records.
Citations for This Collection
When you copy information from a record, you should list where you found the information; that is, cite your sources. This will help people find the record again and evaluate the reliability of the source. It is also good to keep track of records where you did not find information, including the names of the people you looked for in the records. Citations are available for the collection as a whole and each record or image individually.
- "Mexico, Chihuahua, Catholic Church Records, 1632-1958." Images. FamilySearch. http://FamilySearch.org : accessed 2015. Citing Archivo Diocesano de Chihuahua, Chihuahua, Mexico.
|The citation for an image is available on each image in this collection by clicking Show Citation at the bottom left of the image screen. You can browse through images in this collection by visiting the browse page for Mexico, Chihuahua, Catholic Church Records, 1632-1958.|
- This page was last modified on 22 April 2015, at 16:55.
- This page has been accessed 12,341 times.
New to the Research Wiki?
In the FamilySearch Research Wiki, you can learn how to do genealogical research or share your knowledge with others.Learn More