Mexico Baptisms (FamilySearch Historical Records)/Known IssuesEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
| This page was created by FamilySearch Historical Records personnel. It details problems identified within this collection and answers to those problems.
If you wish to comment, please visit the talk page to post your comments.
NOTE: Most missing records are available on microfilm. See Ordering Microfilm or Microfiche for instructions on ordering microfilm as well as finding a local FamilySearch Center where you can view the films.
Question #1: The Batch Number has an incorrect Film Number, Year, or Event Place associated with it. Is there a way to determine what is the correct information?
Answer #1: The following is a list of known Batch discrepancies:
- The correct Film Number for Batch C60923-8 is Film 162665.
- The correct Christening Place for Batch I05614-5 is Santa María de los Reyes, Huatlatlauca, Puebla, Mexico.
- The correct Christening Place for Film 605505 andBatches I07040-0 through I07040-3 is Santa Rosa de Lima, Melchor Múzquiz, Coahuila, Mexico.
- The correct Christening Place for Film 1645714 and Batches I04019-6 through I04019-9 is Gómez Palacio, Durango, Mexico. To determine the specific church, please view the records in the collection browse path Mexico, Durango, Catholic Church Records, 1604-1985 > Sacramento > Sacramento > Bautismos 1897-1900, 1907-1909.
- The correct Film Number and Christening Place for Batch C64436-1 is Film Number 1223081 and Christening Place: Atemajac de Brizuela, Jalisco, Mexico.
- Batch: I05425-3 (Film 611007 and Christening Place: Sagrario Metropolitano, Oaxaca de Juárez, Oaxaca, Mexico) contains 552 records dated from 1876-1877 that are incorrectly indexed. These records are correctly duplicated in Batch I05340-9 (Film 227605 and Christening Place: Sagrario Metropolitano, Puebla de Zaragoza, Puebla, Mexico).
- Batch I05341-1 contains 68 incorrectly indexed records dated 1885 (22 Aug – 8 Sep) that are actually 1878 records.
Question #2: This collection does not contain images. Are the images available anywhere online?
Answer #2: Many of the records with their corresponding images are available in the smaller browse-only Mexican collections which are listed by state, for example, Mexico, San Luis Potosi Catholic Church Records 1586-1970 or Mexico, San Luis Potosí, Civil Registration, 1859-2000. The indexed information found on the records in this collection (Mexico Baptisms 1560-1950) such as baptismal/christening date, place and names of parents can be useful in searching the browse-only collections which are searchable by place, event and date. You can also use the Film Number and search the Catalog to find records that may or may not be available online.
NOTE: For a way to determine what digital records are likely to be found within a collection or how to find missing images elsewhere, see Article 56000, Using Film Notes in the Catalog to determine the content of a final browse point in Historical Records.
Question #3: I am having trouble searching for baptism records even when I know my ancestor’s name. Do you have any suggestions?
Answer #3: When searching for individuals in this collection, try entering the entire name in the First Names field, or try different combinations of the name in both the First Names and Last Names fields. For example, if you cannot find Jose Domingo using both fields, try entering the entire name in the First Names field only. It is possible that in the earlier centuries (before 1800), people were not identified by surnames as we currently use them. It could also have occurred during indexing of a particular batch.
Question #4: Records indexed using Film number 227924 (Bautismos 1880-1882) are deaths. What is the correct film number?
Answer #4: The correct film number is Film 227819 (Defunciones 1905-1915). Images can be found at the browse path: Mexico, Puebla, Catholic Church Records, 1545-1977 > Puebla de Zaragoza > Sagrario Metropolitano > Defunciones 1905-1915. However, the correct year span for Defunciones 1905-1915 is 1906-1915. Film 227924 (Bautismos 1880-1882) has not been indexed to date.
Question #5: The Film Number 220678 associated with Batch I06400-9 contains Baptisms 1892-1895. However, a search by film number yields both baptismal and marriage records. What are the correct film numbers for the indexed records for Batch I06400-9?
Answer #5: The baptismal Film 220678 is a correct film for the indexed marriage records. The indexed marriage records were created because the priest wrote the marriage information in the sidebar of a person's baptismal record while verifying baptism prior to marriage (Información matrimonial). If you perform a search by Batch Number: I06400-9 and filter by Collections: Births, Marriages & Deaths (4,579 records), you will find that the batch’s indexed records are subdivided into two (2) collections: Mexico, Baptisms, 1560-1950 (3,317 records) and Mexico, Marriages, 1570-1950 (1,262 records). You may also find the indexed marriage record for at least one spouse in Batch I06400-9 (Film 220717, Matrimonios 1911-1920 for parish registers for San Juan de los Lagos, Jalisco, Mexico). Although the batch contains both marriage and baptism records, only one film number (220678) was used to create both sets of indexed records.
Question #6: A search using Film 1563160 yields Christening Places of both Santa Ana, Nazas, Durango, Mexico and San Antonio de Padua, Cuencamé, Durango, Mexico. What is the correct locality?
Answer #6: The correct locality for indexed records associated with Film 1563160 is Santa Ana, Nazas, Durango, Mexico. The affected batches include: I04606-5, I04606-8, I04607-1 and I04607-3. The Catalog section associated with Film 1563160 is Registros parroquiales, 1694-1962; Iglesia Católica. Santa Ana (Nazas, Durango).
If you encounter additional problems with this collection, feel free to report them at email@example.com. Please include the following information:
- If searching a specific collection: please include the name of the collection; include all search criteria used, including name, event, dates and places.
- If you are reporting a technical issue: please include your operating system and browser version, such as Windows 7 and Internet Explorer.
Your assistance will help ensure that future revisions will be considered.
Return to the Mexico Baptisms (FamilySearch Historical Records) Learn More page.
Return to the Mexico Baptisms, 1560-1950 collection at FamilySearch.org.
- This page was last modified on 6 February 2015, at 03:55.
- This page has been accessed 1,542 times.
New to the Research Wiki?
In the FamilySearch Research Wiki, you can learn how to do genealogical research or share your knowledge with others.Learn More