Minneapolis Minnesota Family History CenterEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
|This article describes the services and resources available at a Family History Center, a branch facility of the Family History Library.|
The Minneapolis MN Family History Center located at 2801 N. Douglas Dr. in Crystal MN in the lower level of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, serves all of Minneapolis and Northwestern, Southwestern and Western Suburbs. We have about 40 Volunteers trained to help over 3,000+ patrons who visit the Center each year. The Center is dedicated to providing educational classes/workshops, one-on-one assistance and genealogical resources.
Center Contacts and Hours
- 2801 Douglas Dr Crystal MN 55422-2403 United States
- We are located in the lower level of the The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.
- Park in the lower parking lot and enter through the doors located there
- Mondays: 9am - 3pm
- Tuesdays: 6:30pm - 9:00pm
- Wednesdays: 10am - 1pm and 6:30pm - 9:00pm
- Thursdays: 10am - 1pm and 6:30pm - 9:00pm
- Saturday: 9:30am - 12:30pm
Holiday Schedule 2015:
Closed all Major Holidays as well as:
- April 4th 2015 LDS General Conference
- June 29th-July 12th 2015
- Oct 3rd 2015 LDS General Conference
- November 23rd-28th 2015
- December 21st 2015-January 2nd 2016
Calendar and Events
2015 Class Schedule
Join us for one class each Thursday evening 7:30-8:45 pm
- 15 Oct: "Daughters of the American Revolution: Resources and Membership Process" by Lois Mackin
- 22 Oct: "Preparing for a Genealogy Trip" by Judy Martin
- 29 Oct: "Finding Your Missing Female Ancestors" by Jennifer Fritzler
- 5 Nov: "What Treasures Can You Find in Family Search Wiki?" by Marci Stoffer
- 12 Nov: "Descendancy Research: How to Find Cousins Who Need Temple Work" by Camie Christensen
- 19 Nov: "Digging for Land Records and Understanding What You Find" by Mary Young
Staff Training Meetings:
- None are scheduled at this time. Staff are encouraged to attend Thursday night classes.
- 750+ genealogy related books
- 6000+ Microfilms/Microfiches
- 250+ Maps
Databases and Software
- FHC Portal This center has access to the Family History Center Portal page which gives free access in the center to premium family history software and websites that generally charge for subscriptions. Including the following
- Access Newspaper Archive
- Alexander Street Press
- ArkivDigital Online
- Find-My-Past (UK)
- Fold3 (Previously known as Footnote)
- The Genealogist
- Godfrey Memorial Library
- Heritage Quest Online
- Historic Map Works Library Edition
- Paper Trail
- World Vital Records
- Genealogy database software
These genealogy programs can be used for free within the center:
- Ancestral Quest
- Family Insight
- And others
Hardware and Equipment
- 16 networked computer workstations
- Paper copier
- 10 microfilm/2 microfiche readers
- 2 microfilm/fiche digital scanners
- 2 flatbed scanners
- Internet Access
- Wireless Internet Access for Laptops
Staff Research Specialties --COMING SOON!!
Archives and Libraries'
- Minnesota Historical Society and Archives - Link Is a source for many records from all over the state of Minnesota. They also have a bookstore and several classes offered.
- Hennepin County Library - Link They have several databases that can be accessed through a library card. The Minneapolis Library also has a large historical collection. All branches have many resources of interest to researchers.
- Minnesota Genealogical Society - Link A society that specializes in Minnesota research. They also have their own library of research materials. They offer conferences, meetings and many classes throughout the year.
- Germanic Genealogy Society - Link A society that specializes in Germanic research. They offer conferences, meetings, and many classes throughout the year. They also house their library at Concordia Library in St. Paul, MN.
Helpful Websites (free access)
- FamilySearch – Link
- FamilySearch Learning Center - Link
- FamilySearch UTube - Link
- FamilySearch Wiki - Link
- NewFamilySearch - Link
- USGenWeb - Link
- Genuki (UK and Ireland) Link
- Find A Grave - Link
- Google Search - Link
- Mocavo Search - Link
- Utah Digital Newspapers - Link
- BYU Idaho Special Collections - Link
- Cyndi’s List - Link
Volunteer at the Center
Feeling lost in your Family History Consultant Calling? - Take advantage of our training program. Just want to learn more about Family History? - Those who serve always learn the most! Experienced family historians - We need your knowledge and skills.
INTERESTED: Contact our Directors, Alan Stoddard or Audra Stoddard, at the Center ( 763-544-2479) or by email for an interview.
- This page was last modified on 31 October 2015, at 21:57.
- This page has been accessed 8,724 times.
Future Changes to the Wiki
Changes are coming to the FamilySearch Research Wiki in the near future. Find out more on the Wiki Community News page.Community News