Minnehaha County, South Dakota GenealogyEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Guide to Minnehaha County, South Dakota ancestry, family history and genealogy birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
|Minnehaha County, South Dakota|
Location in the state of South Dakota
Location of South Dakota in the U.S.
|Founded||April 5, 1862|
|County Seat||Sioux Falls|
Minnehaha County Courthouse
415 N Dakota Ave
Sioux Falls, SD 57102
Clerk Courts has divorce, probate and court records from 1876;
Register of Deeds has marriage records from 1876, birth and death
records from 1905 and land records
1862--Minnehaha County was created 5 April 1862 from unorganized territory.
County seat: Sioux Falls 
- Lyon County, Iowa
- Pipestone County, Minnesota
- Rock County, Minnesota
1905, 1915, 1925 State Censuses --Unique information could include: Ethnic Background, Maiden Name, Church Affiliation & Military Service
1905 state census with images can be viewed free at FamilySearch Record Search
1915 state census with images can be viewed free at FamilySearch Record Search
1925 state census with images can be viewed free at FamilySearch Record Search
1935 state census with images can be viewed free at FamilySearch Record Search
1945 state census with images can be viewed free at FamilySearch Record Search
Church records vary significantly depending on the denomination and the record keeper. They may contain information about members of the congregation, such as age, date of baptism, christening, or birth; marriage information and maiden names; and death date. For general information about South Dakota denominations, view the South Dakota Church Records wiki page.
First Lutheran Church, Colton
- Records of First Lutheran Church, Colton, in Evangelical Lutheran Church in America database at Archives.com ($).
St. Olaf's Lutheran Church, Sioux Falls
- Records of St. Olaf's Lutheran Church, Sioux Falls, in Evangelical Lutheran Church in America database at Archives.com ($).
Land and property records can place an ancestor in a particular location, provide economic information, and reveal family relationships. Land records include: deeds, abstracts and indexes, mortgages, leases, grants and land patents.
See South Dakota Land and Property for additional information about early South Dakota land grants. After land was transferred to private ownership, subsequent transactions were usually recorded at the county courthouse, where records are currently housed.
Local histories are available for Minnehaha County, South Dakota Genealogy. County and town histories may include biographies, church, school and government history, and military information. For more information about local histories, see the wiki page section South Dakota Local Histories.
Additional newspapers abstracts can sometimes be found using search phrases such as Minnehaha County, South Dakota Genealogy newspapers in online catalogs like:
In most counties in South Dakota, probate records have been kept by the county judge. They include wills, fee books, claim registers, legacy records, inheritance records, probate ticklers, and dockets. The records are available at the county courthouse.
The FamilySearch Catalog lists films of probate records. To find the records for this county, use the Place Search for South Dakota, then click Probate records.
- 1800 – 1985 North Dakota and South Dakota Wills and Probate Records 1800-1985 at Ancestry.com — index and images $
A wiki article describing an online collection is found at:
South Dakota tax records complement land records and can be used to supplement the years between censuses. There may be gaps of several years in the records.
Vital Records consist of births, adoptions, marriages, divorces, and deaths recorded on registers, certificates, and documents. See the CDC Where to Write website for information on acquiring copies of these records.
Societies and Libraries
Little Cornwall On The Prarie
2805 South Fourth Avenue
Sioux Falls SD 57105
Nordland Heritage Foundation
Sioux Falls SD 57l97
Family History Centers
Family History Centers provide one-on-one assistance and free access to premium genealogical websites. In addition, many centers have free how-to genealogy classes. See Family History Center for more information. Search the online FHC directory for a nearby family history center.
- USGenWeb project. May have maps, name indexes, history or other information for this county. Select the state, then the county.
- FamilySearch Catalog
- ↑ The Handybook for Genealogists : United States of America, 10th ed., (Draper, UT: Everton Publishers, 2002)Minnehaha County, South Dakota, p.627
- ↑ The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- ↑ "Evangelical Lutheran Church in America: An Inventory of Selected Congregational Records of the American Lutheran Church in Minnesota at the Minnesota Historical Society," Collection Finding Aids, Minnesota Historical Society, http://www.mnhs.org/library/findaids/01009.xml, accessed 10 June 2013.
- This page was last modified on 1 February 2016, at 01:28.
- This page has been accessed 10,211 times.
Future Changes to the Wiki
Changes are coming to the FamilySearch Research Wiki in the near future. Find out more on the Wiki Community News page.Community News