Montana, Death Index (FamilySearch Historical Records)Edit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
|This article describes a collection of historical records available at FamilySearch.org.|
Access the records: Montana, Death Index, 1860-2007 .
The collection consists of indexes to deaths from the State of Montana Department of Public Health and Human Services, Office of Vital Statistics in Helena for the years 1860 to 2007. The index is provided by Ancestry.com.
Information found in this collection may include:
- Age at Death
- Estimated Birth Year
- Date of Death
- Certificate Number or page number
- Name of Deceased
- Name of Father
- Name of Mother
- Name of Spouse
- Place of Death
- Gender of Deceased
- Page Number
How to Use the Record
To begin your search it is helpful to know the following:
- The name of the person at the time of death
- The place where the death occurred
- The approximate death date
Search the Collection
To search the collection fill in the requested information in the boxes on the initial search page. This search will return a list of possible matches. Compare the information about the individuals in the list to what you already know about your ancestors to determine if this is the correct family or person. You may need to look at the information on several individuals comparing the information about them to your ancestors to make this determination. Keep in mind:
- There may be more than one person in the records with the same name.
- You may not be sure of your own ancestor’s name.
- Your ancestor may have used different names, or variations of their name, throughout their life.
- If your ancestor used an alias or a nickname, be sure to check for those alternate names.
- Even though these indexes are very accurate they may still contain inaccuracies, such as altered spellings, misinterpretations, and optical character recognition errors if the information was scanned.
For tips about searching on-line collections see the on-line article FamilySearch Search Tips and Tricks.
|Don't overlook FHL Keyword Death Records items in the FamilySearch Catalog. For other libraries (local and national) or to gain access to items of interest, see the wiki article Montana Archives and Libraries. For additional information about this state see the wiki article Montana.|
Related Wiki Articles
How You Can Contribute
| We welcome user additions to FamilySearch Historical Records wiki articles. We are looking for additional information that will help readers understand the topic and better use the available records. We also need translations for collection titles and images in articles about records written in languages other than English. For specific needs, please visit WikiProject FamilySearch Records. |
Please follow these guidelines as you make changes. Thank you for any contributions you may provide.
Citations for This Collection
When you copy information from a record, you should list where you found the information; that is, cite your sources. This will help people find the record again and evaluate the reliability of the source. It is also good to keep track of records where you did not find information, including the names of the people you looked for in the records. Citations are available for the collection as a whole and each record or image individually.
- "Montana, Death Index, 1860-2007." Database. FamilySearch. http://FamilySearch.org : accessed 2015. Citing "Montana Death Index, 1907-2007." Ancestry.com. www.ancestry.com : 2009.
Record Citation (or citation for the index entry):
|The citation for a record is available with each record in this collection, at the bottom of the record screen. You can search records in this collection by visiting the search page for Montana, Death Index, 1860-2007.|
- This page was last modified on 29 July 2015, at 16:16.
- This page has been accessed 8,292 times.
Future Changes to the Wiki
Changes are coming to the FamilySearch Research Wiki in the near future. Find out more on the Wiki Community News page.Community News